Chapter 7

LAURICE

"Oh, I heard Christopher's enrolling at the university for a Master's Degree. You're also planning to take one right, Laurice?" Mom asked.

My brows momentarily furrowed at Mom's tone when she mentioned Christopher's name. But before I faced her, I made sure that I wasn't making a face of some sort.

"I'm planning to, Mom, after I pass the licensure exam. The only definite thing about my Master's degree is that I won't be taking it on the next cycle of the academic year," I informed them.

Tapos na rin kasi yung admission tests and they're probably already having interviews for the passers.

We were still enjoying our family breakfast with Kyle not knowing anything about the business we're talking about when I got a text. It's from Rio, reminding me about the hearing later. Kaya naman I excused myself after finishing everything on my plate. I fixed myself before heading to the study to finish my papers that I need to pass to my parents and reread the papers that Rio's gonna need for the hearing later.

If it weren't for Kate reminding me of the time, I would've been late.

Pero I wasn't exactly that early, kasi I didn't have time to pass by a coffee shop to order my usual cappuccino. Kaya naman before I went up to the office, I walked by the cafeteria to get myself coffee. Some of the people who were there got a little star struck, I think , but I just smiled at them and quietly got what I came for.

When I returned to the office none of the guys were there yet so I just reviewed the documents that Rio's presenting to the court later. Christopher was a few minutes earlier than Rio who entered the office with, I assume, the clients. The client even stopped at the door so I smiled at them.

"Ri—I mean Atty. Falco, can you take a look at this?" I said as I handed him the folder containing the file which will be used for the hearing later.

And I think nervous yung clients kasi they're a couple of hours early and I remember Rio saying na an hour before the hearing ang call time na binigay n'ya for the clients. So until the last 10 minutes before we had to enter one of the courtroom in the building, we were telling the clients what to say and not to say.

I'm not exactly new in courtrooms as I have interned for a lawyer during college din. Although more or less five times lang kaming napunta sa court because I was with a corporate lawyer, most of the cases were privately settled.

The hearing ended and there's another session for it kaya we went back up to the office where we discussed the plan. After naman nila umalis, I worked as usual and my things were kept right on the dot of my work shift's end.

"Nagmamadali ka ata?" Rio pointed out.

"Yeah, I have a flight to Great Turquoise tonight."

"Ah, the birthday and opening..." Christopher trailed.

"Yes, that," I agreed.

"Feeling ko hindi n'yo maalala pareho kung para saan," Rio said which made us all laugh.

"Guilty," Christopher shrugged and I just shook my head.

I headed straight to the airport with Kate and the plane crew was just waiting for was me. Nag-take off yung plane almost immediately at dahil there's still a few hours before I get to the destination. I asked for my dinner and ate while reviewing for my exam.

Then I only found out that I fell asleep when I woke up with my seat reclined and I was covered with a blanket. My reviewers were even neatly stacked on the table near me. I saw Kate with her chair reclined while hugging the tablet with her eyes closed.