Chapter 6

LAURICE

I tried to play last night off but Kuya's friends who were at the party last night already told him. Obviously it reached Mom and Dad kaya nag-breakfast ako with them in the room where palace guests eat for privacy. If Kyle didn't wake up early, baka doon sa dining room sa side ni Kuya sa palace kami kakain at mag-uusap.

"Your Highness?" Gulat na tawag sa akin ni Kate kaya I stopped from getting in the driver's seat.

"I'll be at the lake," I said, pertaining to the family's private lot, and looked at my watch, "I'll be back before sun down."

Kate only looked at me worried before I drove off to the lot near the palace.

The gate immediately opened when I got close and I only stopped at the lake with a huge tree where there's a tent set up. I took out one of the sleeping bags inside and unzipped it, made it lay on the grass like a picnic blanket before sitting on it.

Panay tunog yung notification ng phone ko so I turned it off and stared into the lake. Once I sighed, it felt like I released all the weight that I have been carrying for...who knows how long. One thing I'm sure of is that I'll feel that weight again until I no longer notice it burdening me. Then I'll constantly remind myself to never take out my anger or stress on anyone when I feel it.

Kaya nga when it feels like I'm about to explode, I leave the palace and stay here.

I didn't know how long I was sitting there, staring into nothing before I stood up and walked to the bridge. Kumuha ako ng ilang rocks on the way at tinanggal yung shoes ko before sitting on the edge. That's when I began throwing the rocks I had, as hard as I could.

*~~*

"We shouldn't have left. If we didn't, we—"

"Lauren, look at me, everything's going to be okay."

"How sure are you? Can't you see what's—"

I couldn't continue what I was saying as the door slammed open, making me jump. But he immediately stood up and pulled me behind him. All I could do was grab his shirt from behind with my shaky hands.

Ni hindi ko na maintindihan yung mga pinag-uusapan nila pero all I could do was shriek when he was pulled by his collar. My eyes widened when I saw the guy who took and locked us up pull the gun by his waist.

"Sige, sumigaw ka, makikita mo," he warned before pointing the gun towards me.

"—Lauren."

"Huh?"

Napahawak ako sa noo ko where I felt cold sweat then I looked up and saw Christopher. Saka ko lang din napansin na it's almost sunset.

"Were you sleeping?" He asked.

"Huh? Yeah," I answered and took a deep breath.

Yumuko naman ako at hinilamos yung kamay ko sa mukha ko then I sat straight. Christopher was looking at his wrist watch after pulling the sleeve of his jacket.

"If you have somewhere to be, you can go," I told him.

"Are you okay?"

"...yeah," I said and smiled.

"You're sure? It was a little shocking to see you lying down by the bridge when I jogged here," he said.

Oh my God I fell asleep there? Kaya naman pala I couldn't think of how I got to the sleeping bag!

I grimaced at what he said before proceeding to convince him that he could go. I think nagmukha pa akong super pushy dahil kahit na nagtatanong s'ya, I keep on adding on my answer that he could go.