Prologue

"Jett! They're here" Sage yelled excitedly, throwing the rest of the mail away onto the bunk bed that they shared.

Within a blink, Jett was dashed into their shared room, "Is it really?"

Sage instantly nodded and flipped the two envelopes on the side with writing that said, 'Valorant Protocol Admission'. In an instant, Jett's eyes widened and she grabbed the letter out of Sage's hand with the one that had her name on it.

"Woah, try not to rip the paper. Let us hope that we can get in" Sage smiled, grabbing Jett's arm and pulling her down to sit down onto the bed next to her. Although, Jett seemed to be focused on only the letter, her eyes sparkling at the unopened envelope.

Whatever was written in this letter was going to define the fate that the two have been working towards for years. Endless training, blood, sweat, and tears went towards the position of possibly getting into Valorant Protocol.

Jett eventually looked up to see Sage smiling at her and wiggling her letter, "Ready?"

"Ready when you are" Jett smirked.

At once, the two opened the letters at the same time.

Sage skimmed over the letter and the more her eyes continued to read, the more her eyes brightened as she read the words, "We'd like to welcome you to Valorant Protocol as our newest Sentinel"

Her heart almost skipped a beat reading her acceptance letter, "Jett! I- I got in.."

However, nothing but a peep came from Jett's side. The silence made Sage turn her head and her eyes widened. Her eyes first dropped down to the letter that was clutched tightly in Jett's hand, then...Jett. She looked distraught and the aura that Sage was feeling was negative and unwelcoming.

"Jett.." Sage started, about to bring a hand to Jett's shoulder before it was brushed off.

"No...please" Jett began before her eyes blazed, "H-How could they not accept me! I was one of the highest-ranked in the academy!"

Sage bit her tongue, thinking about any possibility that Jett could've been declined. She did recall getting in a lot of trouble with the headmaster and having a lot of attitudes. Other than that, Jett excelled in both battle and strategy. Could Jett's personality truly be the reason why she didn't get accepted in?

Again, Sage's hand tried to touch Jett, "Jett...It's okay to be upset. But, look on the bright side, you can try again...in two years"

Clearly, that was not the correct words Sage should've used since Jett instantly stood up and stared at Jett angrily, "Do you really think that is what I want to hear?!"

"N-No, but.. I- I'm sorry. I really am.."

"Are you going to Protocol without me?"

Sage looked down at her lap. How could she ever go to Protocol without her best friend..but this position is something she's been working for all her life. She can't just let it go...

Giving a stiff nod, Sage muttered, "I have to..isn't that what you would do?"

"Well it's not like I'm going in the first place"

Sage couldn't help but stand up now and stare at her, "Can't you be happy for me? I- I know you didn't get in, but I was really hoping that you'd be happy for me, just as I would be for you"

"I- This conversation is useless. Of course, I'm happy for you! It's just...I really wanted- I wanted to go with you" Jett mumbled.

Sage's eye's instantly softened as she gently cupped Jett's cheek to bring their eyes together, "I wanted it just as much as you, Jett"