Chapter Three

Jett felt defeated when she was sent back to her cell. She knew not to expect any sympathy from Sage, yet the coldness of Sage's voice made her shiver. She had never heard Sage talk like that to anyone in her life..so she knew she fucked up real bad.

Jett stared at the wall blankly, trying to think of anything she could do to try and make it up to Sage, but the longer she stared into the wall, it began to seem hopeless.

"Knock knock," Someone said.

Jett's eyes slowly rose to the person standing behind the bars and her eyes widened, but she quickly sunk further into the bed once she realized who it was.

"Don't give me that long face. You know you miss me" Phoenix began, fishing into his pocket to let himself into Jett's cell.

Jett frowned and watched him do so, "...What are you doing here?"

"I came back from one of my missions to hear a specific somebody was trying to take us down. Though, I'm quite surprised that it was you. I mean, didn't you want to get into Valorant?"

"Everyone keeps telling me that..but things change y'know?"

"I suppose..but, why the dark side?"

"Can we not talk about this? Why don't we talk about you or something other than my failures in life"

"You decided to cut me off, I think I deserve some answers" Phoenix mumbled sadly which sent a pang of guilt into Jett.

She frowned and pushed herself up against the wall with her palms, "You're right...I'm sorry. I just don't like talking about this stuff"

Phoenix stayed silent and waited for Jett to continue.

"I..wanted to feel acceptance. As the months went on, I felt like life wasn't moving forward for me and I constantly kept thinking that wasn't going to get into Protocol. So...I ditched the academy and tried to lead a life of my own, and then well. Things didn't go so well, and Kingdom was able to save me from going down a pretty shitty path"

Phoenix bit his tongue a little to think of what he was going to say to that. He still can't believe that his old friend was now an enemy.

"That's..wow, Jett. I really have no words"

Jett shrugged, "I made a mistake, and I don't think I can go back and fix it. Judging how Sage acted towards me.."

"I think she has the right too. You did kind of throw away your friendship with her. And something tells me that friendship meant a lot to her"

"..I know that. That's why I said that I can't fix it"

"Maybe. Sage has an immense ability to forgive people"

"What if...It's for the best that Sage and I-"

"Don't even finish that sentence, you know that's not what you want or what she wants"

"This is the first time Sage and I have seen each other in almost 2 years, what makes you think we can suddenly get back our friendship" Jett muttered.

Phoenix chuckled, "That's why you have to work at it. I'm sure she can forgive you, she can't act cold to you forever"

Jett felt a glimmer of hope in her chest as she smiled into the palms of her hands.

"I hope so"

~~

"You're sure you're okay?" Jett said with panic as she saw Yoru walk around on his foot in the medical ward.

"Yup, It feels good as new! That lady with long black hair put this cool orb onto my leg and it was like I never got shot!" Yoru exclaimed, wiggling his leg and hopping around on it.