Chapter Two

When Sage had run down the stairs to meet with her huddled comrades, she was expecting something intimidating or maybe even a past enemy judging from how easily they were able to capture this so-called "strongest" division.

But when she approached the inner circle, the sight she saw nearly blew her away. The person laying on the ground, barely conscious and clearly in pain, was no other than Jett.

The person who had brought her so much pain yet was the one who was able to put a smile on her face at any chance she saw her.

"Jett?" That was the first thing she said. She almost cringed at how cracked her voice became when she said her voice.

Her comrades looked at Sage awkwardly then back at Jett who had a widened gaze yet it looked so distraught. Beneath the emotionless facial expression, Sage could still see the old person Jett once was. Other than the physical pain, the emotional pain Jett was pushing against Sage like a tidal wave.

"Sage I-" Jett began but Sage couldn't stay in the same proximity as Jett. She just couldn't bear the raw feeling of what she felt two years ago.

Nothing but dry utter suffering.

Sage relaxed her shoulders, she wasn't about to do the same thing Jett did to her. Walk away and forget everything they ever had. "What are you doing here, Jett?" She then said.

It took a while for Jett to come up with words, still stuck in her head. Her tendencies to hide any sort of feeling or emotion was beginning to show and her walls were coming up. Jett knew she would eventually have to encounter Sage but she didn't think it would impact her this hard. Why had it been so easy to forget her? But the moment her eyes lay on Sage, all her efforts burned to ash.

"I..can't tell you that" Jett muttered.

"It's a simple question, Jett. We either force you to answer or give an answer right now. Oh and why you are doing so, you should tell me why you decided to leave-" Sage caught herself from speaking rashly at the moment. She looked around at her teammates who continued to look at her with confused gazes, then managed to compose herself from speaking any further unnecessary comments.

Sage didn't even have to finish her sentence for Jett to know what she was about to say. Sage always was able to control herself in situations like these, something that Jett failed to do. But as of right now, the idea of keeping quiet was the most ideal thing for Jett right now.

"What do you want from me?" Jett said through gritted teeth.

Sage was about to answer but Brimstone placed a calm hand on her shoulder, "It's alright, I'll take it from here. Let me talk to her-"

"No, she's my-" Sage began but Brimstone sharply gazed at her and she instantly nodded and took a step back. Though her heated gaze at Jett continued to burn into her skin.

Brimstone took a small kneel and stared at Jett's wounds first then back at Jett, "I know who you are"

If Jett's eyes weren't widened enough, they were surely opened fully now, "You do?"

"Yes. Your application photo...I remember you all to clear, you were one of the highest-ranked in your Academy. I can't believe that I would see you here, fighting against an organization that you wished to be in" Brimstone said, with a click of his tongue. His face held disappointment and Jett couldn't help but feel even more guilty under his superiority gaze.

Jett had hardly known this man yet she felt like she was getting in trouble with someone like her dad. Why does his disappointed gaze upset Jett? Why does she feel the need to prove him wrong?