Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Wild

Hindi pa rin ako makapaniwala. The woman I talked to is Clarence Valencia! Theo's mother! Pero hindi ba ay nasa hospital siya? Why is she here, then?! Worst, I talked to her casually earlier without knowing that she is one of the reason why the contract between us started!

Good thing I didn't say anything weird earlier!

"Why are you here, Mama?" Theo asked while already sitting beside me.

Nasa harap namin ang Mama niya. I sighed and can't even look into her eyes now unlike earlier! Diretso lang ang tingin ko sa pagkaing unti-unting inilalapag sa lamesa namin noong waitress.

"I just want to eat here. Am I not allowed to?" Theo's mother said playfully.

"You're supposed to be in the hospital—"

"Hay naku! Do you want me to jail myself inside it before I leave for my treatment! Let me breath!"

Napaangat ang tingin ko sa Mama ni Theo nang marinig ang sinabi niya. She's... already leaving for her treatment? I thought... she's waiting for Theo to get married first? Ang akala ko... kailangan ikasal muna kami bago siya aalis?! Did Theo lied to me all this time?!

Napansin niya ata ang kuryusong tingin ko kaya agad na napalitan ang inis niyang ekspresyon nang malawak na ngiti.

"In case you didn't know, hija, I have to leave for States to have my heart surgery. I'm suffering from an illness called cardiomyopathy," she smiled but it did not reach her eyes this time.

That's not what I am curious about because I already knew that but I still acted shocked.

"I'm... I'm sorry to know that po," I said sincerely and looked down.

I don't know but I suddenly felt guilty about lying after knowing that she's Theo's mother! Kanina naman ay at ease pa akong magsabi ng kung anu-ano tapos ngayon ay parang ang hirap ng magsinungaling! I feel like it is a deadly sin to lie to her innocent and kind face!

"Oh no! It's okay! I'm going to have my treatment naman na so I'll be fine!" Sabi niya at inabot ang kamay kong nasa ibabaw ng lamesa.

My eyes slightly widened and looked at her.

"And I still want to watch my grandchildren walk and grow up so I won't die early!" She chuckled playfully.

Pinisil niya ang kamay ko, tila inaassure ako na huwag mag-alala dahil totoo ang sinasabi niya. A small smile crept on my lips while looking at her. She has that motherly vibe that even though she's a stranger to you, you won't be suspicious of her and only be comfortable around her.

But... grandchildren?

Wala sa sarili akong napalingon kay Theo at nakitang pinapanood niya ako. He looks in a dazed at first but when he saw me looking, he immediately looked away and cleared his throat.

"Let's eat..." he announced in a baritone voice and looked at me again from looking at her mother.

His eyes looked all serious now. Napanguso na lang ako.

We started eating. Only the sound of the utensils are heard while we're eating and the seldom talks between Theo and his mother. Napapangiti na lang ako habang pinapakinggan ang mga biro ng Mama niya.

"You're so stiff! Loosen up a bit, anak! Hindi ka estatwa!"

I chuckled slightly because of that and I unconsciously put a big slice of sushi in my mouth. Natigilan lang ako nang mapansing halos hindi ko iyon manguya dahil masiyadong malaki at basta ko na lang isinubo! I groaned and was about to drink from my water when I saw Theo's hand.