Chapter 8

As Amelié ascended to their hotel floor, a sense of urgency propelled her to knock on Marc's door

As Amelié ascended to their hotel floor, a sense of urgency propelled her to knock on Marc's door. Nails scratching along her arms, an expression of her inner turmoil.

As the door swung open, Marc's soft gasp greeted her, his concern evident in his gaze. "Amelié, may I touch you?" he inquired tenderly, stepping closer to her.

With a silent nod, she surrendered herself to his embrace, seeking solace in the safety of his arms.

"I'm utterly disgusted, Marc," she whimpered, frustration staining her cheeks as tears welled in her eyes, punctuated by soft hiccups.

Marc tenderly swayed from side to side, his hand tracing soothing circles on her back as he pressed a gentle kiss to the crown of her head.

"It's natural to feel that way, Amelié," he reassured her, his voice a soothing balm to her troubled soul. "You've had to endure the company of a repugnant man, one who inflicts deliberate harm upon others. Yet, you're excelling in this mission. We're all immensely proud of you."

"I'm terrified, Marc," she admitted, her voice trembling with uncharacteristic fear, her eyes reflecting a vulnerability she seldom showed. "I'm never scared, but he... he frightens me. It's like he can see right through me. I fear I'll slip up, say something, and he'll uncover my investigation into his despicable prostitution ring and drug network. Today, he caught me off guard because I was lost in my own thoughts."

Stepping back, she resumed the rhythmic scratching of her arms, a physical manifestation of her inner turmoil, the sensation grounding her amidst the chaos of her emotions.

Marc gently grasped her arms, his touch a reassuring anchor amidst her turmoil. "I believe this is something the entire team should hear, to truly grasp your perspective," he suggested, his voice steady with determination.

Amelié nodded in agreement, her eyes flickering with gratitude for his support as she observed him begin to type a message.

In a matter of seconds, the remaining members of the team filtered into the room, settling onto the available furniture while Amelié and Marc stood poised to address them.

"What's happening?" Axel inquired, his striking appearance accentuated by his long hair and sun-kissed skin.

Marc turned to Amelié, his touch lingering comfortingly on her back as he spoke softly, "Would you like to share, or shall I?"

Taking a deep breath, Amelié squared her shoulders, finding strength in Marc's presence. "I'll do it, thank you," she replied, her voice firm with resolve.

"I'm frightened," she confessed, her words hanging heavy in the air as she observed the shock etching across their faces.

Before any of them could respond, she raised a hand, halting their impending words.

"I'm utterly terrified of Emiliano," she continued, her voice wavering with raw emotion. "I'm forced to endure his unwanted touches, his kisses, his lingering gazes, his insincere smiles... everything about him repulses me. Today, he brazenly confessed that his next pursuit involves... bedding me. But I refuse. What I've already endured – the kisses, the feigned affection – is far more than I'm willing to tolerate."