Chapter 13: Dumbledore

Albus Dumbledore had seen many curiosities in his life, had faced many struggles, but seeing Harry hiding from him in nervousness behind Tom Riddle's back is a first.

The day after Harry had disappeared from the face of the earth, he had gone down the Chamber himself to inspect. He had somehow managed to mimic the hissing sound of a snake and that allowed him entrance into Slytherin's greatest pride.

But there was no Ginny Weasley. And no Harry. He had searched the whole place, bit by bit. No one was there. And the basilisk? Still inside its own place, very much alive.

He confessed to himself that he had been very puzzled by the situation.
Harry was supposed to come from down there triumphant. Instead he had vanished.

The whole student body was shocked.

Miss Granger was crying. She was depressed for days, after the petrification antidote had been administrated on her and she had learned of the boy's fate.

Mr Weasley didn't speak to anyone anymore. He was mourning his sister and best friend at the same time.

One day, Albus received a letter. A letter with the initials TMR in the end of it.

He could not believe it. This had to be some sort of joke. Tom Riddle was long dead. Only Voldemort existed and Harry had destroyed him in his first year. So what was this?

The letter said that Harry would visit Hogwarts for a day. And then Riddle would take him back to wherever was it that he was hiding the boy in.

Albus was a curious man. He wanted answers. He knew that calling the aurors would be useless. Riddle wouldn't hesitate to dissappear again. If he wanted to see Harry, he would have to compromise with the current circumstances.

So here he is, standing behind the desk inside his office, with eyes threatening to burst from shock, looking at a sixteen year old Tom - not a day older - with his hand gingerly touching Harry's shoulder.

A scared Harry, with cheeks red. A Harry who looks down in embarrassment sometimes. A Harry who probably thinks he let everyone down. A Harry he cannot offer consolation to, much as he wants to.

He sees the boy throwing nervous glances at Riddle. Riddle, who does not pay any attention to his protégé. The teenager is far too pleased with himself, as he looks at Albus with satisfaction written in his stare, for the first time expressing actual emotion so effortlessly.

The 'Dark Lord to be' is the first who speaks, a tiny grin gracing his lips. "So, you became Headmaster. How... fitting."

Dumbledore allows his usually calm demeanor to darken a little. "I believe you are here to provide me with an explanation for the last two months, Tom."

"Indeed." Replies the dark eyed coolly, before turning to address the boy. "Harry, can you wait outside, please? You will see the headmaster for as long as you'd like, in a minute." He mutters, voice impossibly soft.

It is truly unexpected for Dumbledore to hear him be so kind to the kid he was supposed to destroy.

The old man sees Harry nodding, obedient, like a trained puppy. His movements are tense as he steps out of the office.

The two men of the opposing sides, Light and Dark, are left alone.

Tom regards the honored wizard with a nuanced expression. He seems to enjoy the disorder he caused. "Will you invite me to sit down or have you forgotten your manners completely? Old age can be cruel to a man, I'm afraid."

Albus tries to scold his face into a blank canvas. Nothing to be seen through. "Please." He says and motions to the chairs in front of the desk.

The Slytherin glances at him contemptuously but still, he sits down on the bright red one to the left.