Chapter 28: True victory

Suffice to say that after Voldemort's death the Order and the members of the Wizengamot caught the rest of the Death Eaters in an eye blink.

Lucius Malfoy lost his political position, had his wand snapped in half and most importantly 'somehow' had both of his legs broken permanently with an ancient Curse that came from the Chinese Wizarding tradition to his way into Fireplace number 15 that lead straight into Azkaban.

The broken legs were of course Tom's doing. The man's screams filled his heart with warmth. It was like music to his ears.

Bellatrix Lestrange's fate wasn't remotely kinder.

Mary had slipped past the floor where the big crowd along with the reporters were and found her father's killer. For the time being the black haired woman is resting in, well... pieces. Again, thank the universe for creating wandless magic. It was useful as hell in times like this one. The simple slicing Charms she used for cutting her vegetables finally came in handy. She was never suspected by the other aurors.

Tom was remotely satisfied all the while the blonde was explaining to him how she did it.
"So you finally learned not to get caught." He had said and Mary had felt the slightest bit of content in her heart.

"I did." She had said. She honestly felt relief, most of all. Finally her father's killer got what she deserved.

Her mother was equally pleased when she heard the story from her own daughter three days later over tea. Mary's inner demon would be finally put to rest.

And things were just starting.

_________________

Four years later in 1999, Kingsley Shacklebott has been elected Minister by the new Wizengamot that consists of wizards and witches of all blood and social statuses, not just the privileged pure-bloods. The members of the Wizengamot itself for the first time are elected by the people. No one is to be excluded.
The laws that Kingsley voted for elevated Magical Britain's economy by at least 40%. Poverty was diminished from 23% to 5% and the quality of life grew from 158% to 190%. Everyone was quite happy about that new development.

Tom had realized that Ben was right. Why be the villain, when you can be the hero that saves the desperate? Him, Mary and Ben had been appointed to the Minister's consultant team. Every law passed before their hands before it even reached Kingsley.
'Talking about absolute control, huh?' He thinks sometimes, while reading international treates and contracts.

___________

"Tom, tell me where the fuck have you hidden the package with my chips. Now."

Mary is exactly eight and a half months pregnant. That means one thing. Constant dessert and snack craving. At just 27 her carefully preserved avoidance for any kind of sweet has been thoroughly destroyed. Tom is the only one who remembers how to cook healthily out of the three of them anymore.

"Ben, can you please tell her-" Tom stops his words midway. Seeing the father to be eating from inside an ice cream box of Ben and Jerry's is not what he expects. He arches a questioning brow.

"What?" Asks the blond, innocent as ever once he has realized he's been busted. "I'm offering emotional support to my wife."

"And that is the 'support', I assume?"

"Uh huh." Nods the blue eyed and gulps another spoonful of salted caramel down his throat.

"Great." Says Tom, rubbing his eyes due to exhaustion. "Guess I'm doing the cooking again."

"Um, actually, we were going to buy pizza-" Starts off Mary before she catches his harsh glance at her direction and changes what she was meant to say. "Fine, fine. You want to cook? Go ahead."