Chapter 18: Pettigrew

While Sirius still didn't trust the boy that had rendered the whole Wizarding World to chaos by vanishing their hero from the face of the earth, he could appreciate one thing: When Riddle gave a promise, did he actually bring quick results as well.

He himself had been searching for Peter for years, skimming through every newspaper the guards tossed at him since his bargain for muggle cigarettes worked. He had gained them from another inmate, some old man named Rausch. In return, he gave up his kaleidoscope that worked as a dream enhancer for a good night's sleep.

In five days time, Riddle had sent him another letter with the exact address of their upcoming meeting and the request not to do anything rash but to wait for them, as in him and Harry, all the same.

So here he is at a busy London street full of muggles, waiting. He has leaned on a clothes store front window but he doesn't care about dirtying the glass. He knows that Riddle will appear somewhere near this area from moment to moment.

Ah. And there he is, coming out from a red telephone box with Harry following closely behind.

Once they have arrived approximately two feet away from him and he has made a silencing charm really quickly, to avoid the risk of being heard by anyone, muggle or passing wizard, he initiates the conversation. "Do you know where Pettigrew is? Last thing I knew, he was in Hogwarts."

"Exactly. 'Was', not 'is'. I got him." Says the teenager, quite casually. With that, he conjures a small paper bag.

"What's this supposed to be?" Snorts Sirius, looking suspiciously at the package. "Lunch?"

Tom smirks. "Maybe. Or a human heart. It would fit inside there perfectly, but alas, it is not my style. Go on. Open it and see for yourself."

The black haired man takes the bag with careful moves. After a few seconds of hesitation he takes out a sealed vase with two tiny holes for air on the iron cap. Inside it there's a squirming rat, afraid as hell. Peter.

"So, you managed to catch him." He mutters in true awe. How did Riddle break into the castle and get out without anyone suspecting anything for a second time?

"You're welcome." Replies the boy, clearly pleased with the praise. His eyes pass through the hoard of people. He suffocates, being among large groups like this. "Now, I think it would be better if we were to take this somewhere less... crowded."

"I know a place." Says Sirius, pointing at an abandoned house, five turns away, on the road to their left.

Tom's eyes follow the finger of the man.
"Then, by all means, lead the way."

Harry, who hasn't been talking, for he didn't feel like contributing something to the conversation as of yet, can only stare at the rat in the vase. Hatred and curiosity mix together.

Pettigrew has a lot to answer for.

_____________

Once Sirius has performed the counterspell that reverses an animagus transformation, Tom has the man tied up on a chair he conjures out of thin air with another wave of his hand.

Pettigrew is absolutely pathetic. (And Tom thought that Ginerva mewling like a kitten was boring. This one is even worse.) He is shaking, his face has heated unnervingly fast. Hot tears run down his thin, underfed cheeks.

"Si - Sirius! My old friend! You... you wouldn't hurt me, would you? After all these years..." God knows how the words even come out of his stuttering lips, but they do.

And upon hearing them, Sirius goes berserk. "You dare to call me your friend, Peter? You dare speak of our friendship after what you've done? After getting Lily and James killed? What will you say to this boy, huh? Look at him, he's right here! What will you say to Harry?"