chapter four

when Maya woke up today she was a bit sick but it wasn't that bad, she was still able to go to Anwar's dinner. when she went to the kitchen to make herself something to eat before going to work she saw Sam there, she looked.....different. she just didn't give the sunshine and happy vibe like usual. she wanted to ask her if she is okay so bad but she really has to go to work and if she asked her and they start chatting she will probably be late. so she decided to say good morning grab a bagel and some coffee then goes to her room to dress up. when she arrived at her work everyone was so busy especially after when the movie star despaired in the middle of his own movie premiere. everyone on social media wanted to know where did Anwar Cullins go that night and with who. knowing that the valet told one of the reporters that he left with a woman but he hasn't seen her face, it wasn't very clear in the dark. people were going crazy over who she was. Maya smiled and acted as if she didn't know who that girl was. she even was helping her coworkers try to find who she is, she was the cinderella of the event. her boss decided that it would be best if Maya wrote the article about who that girl might be knowing that she was the only one who attended the event from her office. Maya was so good at her job that she wrote an entire article as if she wasn't that girl. she made sure no one knows anything about them. or even have the tiniest hint that it might be here.

when she arrived at home after work she also didn't have that much time to talk to Sam or check up on her cause she was late for getting ready for tonight's dinner but she promised herself that as soon as she is done with the dinner she is going to talk to her. she wore a breathtaking golden dress it was so classy as if she was part of the royal family. minutes later her phone started buzzing. it was Anwar telling her that the car he sent is on her door. she picked up her scarf and put it around her shoulders and got into the car. when she arrived she was stunned by his house I think the word house wasn't enough it was a literal mansion. she knew he was rich but not THAT rich. she was so nervous cause when she looked around she didn't recognize anyone's face. until she saw him. smiling and thanking people for coming, she felt kind of relieved. she walked up to him and smiled when he saw her he immediately finished his conversation with the person he was talking to and went to her. he had a big wide smile on his face as if he just saw the best thing he has ever seen.

"hey, you came!" he said still smiling which looked crepey but he couldn't help it

"How can I say no?"

"wow, you look...gorgeous"

"you don't look bad yourself"

"I really would like to continue our chat but I can't I have to check on few things"

"it is okay you are excused"

when he leaves she starts feeling nervous again and starts playing with the ring on her finger as always that's when she hears a voice behind her.

"you still do this when you get nervous?"

she immediately turns around to see who that was. it was Adam she got nervous even more when she saw him. she knew he would be here but she didn't know he would speak to her.

"Yeah, why do you have a problem with that?" she said trying to sound confident as much as possible.

he looks at her with a deep look and just when he was about to say something Anwar starts calling everyone to join him at the dinner table

when they sat down a woman notices Maya for the first time and says

"Anwar aren't you going to introduce us to this lovely lady sitting next to you"

"oh I'm sorry, everyone this is Maya she's my..."

"friend," says Maya smiling then she turned to Anwar and winked, Anwar looked at her and smiled. their relationship was complicated they weren't friends or lovers either so the wink relieved Anwar cause they are not friends they were more than that but definitely not lovers yet.

"So where are you from, do you live alone ?" says the woman to Maya

"no, actually I live with my best friend Samantha. but not for too long cause she is getting married."

"SAM IS GETTING MARRIED!??" says Adam in a really loud voice

"you know her?" says Anwar. he was really confused

"yeah, all three of us used to be friends in high school," says Maya

"Really, what happened?" says the woman

Adam and Maya shared a look not knowing which version of the story they're about to tell. or to be more specific which lie would they choose.

"nothing we just graduated and went on our own ways as most high school friends do," says Maya

"wow you two must be so excited to catch up after dinner after all these years," says Anwar

they both share a look again

"We sure do," says Adam sarcastically.

as everyone continues eating their dinner. Anwar whispers something really funny about some food on a guy's chin in Maya's ear. then she started historically laughing. that's when Adam stood up and left the room he was so annoyed which was weird.

"wait was he jealous?" Maya thought to herself. which made no sense cause why would he?

after dinner, she says goodbye to Anwar

"I really would want to drive you home but I can't leave the rest of the people here," says Anwar

"it's okay I'll get an uber," says Maya

" you don't have to, I'll drive you," says Adam

"that is a great idea thanks buddy, that way I'll be relieved that you are with safe hands too," says Anwar

she hesitates but on the other hand, she doesn't want to be with a stranger in the middle of the night so she agrees.