03-Mend Me Slowly

But seldom do these words ring true
when I'm constantly failing you
like walls that we can't break through
until we disappear
So tell me now
If this ain't love then how do we get out?

Hermione waited until she could see Draco walking down Diagon Alley from the window in her room. As he walked out of sight she let out the breath she'd been holding in since she'd met with him. She had no idea what she was going to do anymore. Everything in her life was starting to pile up and the news of Malfoy being head boy was the cherry on top of everything. She started throwing everything in her room angrily in her trunk.

She had been avoiding going back to the burrow for long enough. It was time to pluck up her Gryffindor courage, she needed to go face things with Ron. Her hiding away like this was only making him angrier, the daily owls she was receiving were proof of that. As she closed her trunk she thought back to their fights, trying to remember the reason she had left.

"You're bloody crazy if you think I'm actually letting you go. This is Draco Malfoy we're talking about! Hess a death eater for crying out loud. Stop trying to be Miss Goody Two Shoes and wake up already!" Ron and she had been screaming at each other for the better part of an hour.

"I am awake Ronald! I fought a war so that people would be given a chance to move on from past prejudices. In case you hadn't noticed that includes feelings towards Malfoy. He helped us, so did his mother. We owe them this Ron. If you can't see that then I'm sorry, but I'm tired of fighting.

I've spent my childhood fighting kids who thought I was weird, I went to Hogwarts and fought with Slytherin’s who thought my blood wasn't good enough, I fought beside you and Harry against countless attacks, I fought for you to notice me, I fought a war and now I am constantly fighting with you. I swear Ron if it's not one thing it's another. I am constantly as you say 'going against you'. It's suffocating!

"I am a grown woman Ronald Weasley, so I am going to do as I please, and do this. I am going to use the last little bit of fight I have in me for something good. When I'm done, I am going to enjoy a FINALLY peaceful year at the school I love. I am sorry you can't understand, but I don't really care either." She made her way to swing the door to Ron's room open when he grabbed her wrist and yanked her back.

"What the hell is wrong with you Hermione? I am your boyfriend, what I say matters and you need to learn that! Normal couples don't do things just to infuriate they're boyfriends, but Merlin forbid you be normal. I don't care either though! I told you not to go, so you're not going ok?" Ron said tightening his grip on her wrist.

"Ron let go, you're hurting me!" She said trying to twist from his grasp.

Ron pushed his thumb hard into her wrist bone. "I swear on everything if you walk out that door Hermione, we're through!"

"FINE!" Hermione screamed yanking her wrist and pushing him back with her other hand. "If that's how you feel on this, then that is your decision Ron. I will not be made into the bad guy over this choice. I am doing something with my own life, if you cannot handle that, then that's fine. You can reap the fallout." She shot him a death glare then turned on her heel to leave, pausing at the door she glanced over her shoulder. "I have no idea who you even are anymore Ron, but you're surely not who I kissed in the chamber. And if you ever touch me like that again, I will blast you're hand off faster than you can scream for help." and she left without another word.

That fight had made Hermione realize a few things. Most importantly no matter how much she wanted to fix the wounds Ron had from the war, she wasn't going to be able to. He needed to figure it out on his own because she was no longer taking the brunt of his anger. It was time for her to walk away, get her own life back. Away from everything that had been holding her back for so long.

So she went and spoke at Draco's trial. The vindicating feeling it gave her had prompted her to stay at The Leaky Cauldron for a bit. She wanted to sort out her life and make some choices. She knew she needed to talk to Ron but at the time all she wanted was her own company.

Now though, it was time to face the music. She couldn't keep pushing this off, 2 weeks was enough, with that in mind she grabbed a handful of flu powder and threw it into the fireplace shouting "The Burrow!"

As she stepped from the Weasley's fireplace she wiped the ash from her jumper. Before she had a chance to even get her bearings, a seething redhead marched up to her.

"HERMIONE JEAN GRANGER WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!" Hermione took a moment to steal a glance at the Weasley mother before instantly regretting it. If looks could kill, Hermione would be writhing on the floor right now, praying for death.

"I DO NOT CARE IN THE SLIGHTEST WEATHER I AM YOUR MOTHER OR NOT. IF YOU EVER DISAPPEAR FOR THAT LONG AGAIN, YOU WILL WISH YOU HAD BEEN KIDNAPPED! ARTHUR AND I HAVE SPENT THE LAST FORTNIGHT GOING BARMY WITH WORRY. BED EMPTY, NO NOTE, NO GOODBYE, NOTHING. ONLY NEWS WE HAD OF YOU WAS A PICTURE IN THE PROFET OF YOU AFTER DRACO MALFOY'S TRIAL! IF YOU WERE MY CHILD, YOUR REAR WOULD BE AS RED AS MY HAIR! YOU BEST HAVE SOME SORT OF EXPLANATION!" Molly Weasley was seething and Hermione's face was twisted with guilt.

"I-I'm so sorry Mrs. Weasley. I d-didn't mean to worry you. I went to the trial and decided to stay in Diagon Alley for a while. I never in a million years thought it would worry you." Hermione looked at the floor like a child caught in the cookie jar. Next thing she knew Miss Weasley's hands were on her shoulders guiding her to a loveseat.

"Hermione dear," Hermione almost felt a twinge of whiplash as the woman before hers whole demeanor change. In true Miss Weasley fashion, screaming one moment, soothing the next. "I know things are hard on Harry, Ron, and you. You just finished playing a major role in a war. Now you're being thrown into the everyday things and expected to act as though everything's normal. And you sweet dear," Miss Weasley pulled Hermione's face to look and her. "I know how much you miss your parents. I hope they find a way to undo their obliviation." Hermione was trying so hard not to let the tears she'd finally managed to stop, escape again.

"That being said, you are not lacking in love and that will never change. When I first met Harry and you I loved you both instantly as my own children. Things may be a bit muddied up with your own family at the moment, but you always have a family dear. You are as much a Weasley as Ginerva and Ronald. Even if things don't work with Ron." With knowing eyes Miss Weasley pulled Hermione into the most comforting hug she'd ever felt. "I love you dear. Please just tell us if you're going to go for a while. Arthur and I understand if you need space sometimes. Everyone does."

Hermione let a tear slide down thinking of her parents. Alone in Australia with no memory of her. She had tried on many occasions to reverse the spell, but something must have gone wrong when she obliviated them, as the counter spell never worked. She'd thought about just outright telling them, but knew that would be worse. They would either think she'd gone mental, or they would believe her. Without their memories though, telling them would be more painful than having them. They would never love her as their child that love would have died with their memories.

And with that in mind, Hermione felt a bit of her heart start to mend. It meant the world to her to know that even though her own mother wasn't around, she still had another to lean on. It was comforting knowing that that love would still be there even if Ron couldn't mend himself.

Song:Savior
Artist:Rise Against
A/N: So yesterday I got my first message asking why I haven't updated! After one day lol! I'm flattered. Just to let everyone know, I want to try and keep updating daily but alas I do have chores and what not lol. Also every 3 weeks or so I will not update for close a week. Hubby comes home and I try to devote my time solely to him. Anyways! Here is you're next chapter. Thank you so much to those who have stuck with me this far. It makes me put extra effort forth to get more chapters out. Also, part of this chapter is a quote from Chamber of Secrets! I cannot take credit for it lol. See if you can find it ;)