16-In the Open

Well I'll wait till you listen
I won't say a word
To follow your instincts
Would just never work
You are silent but strong
Yeah I'm playing that card
And you're noticing nothing again

When the sun finally rose the next morning Draco and Hermione were still awake, they’d lay in his bed all night just talking. She had told him that she had specifically taken classes this year to be able to become either an Auror, a Healer, or possibly a Curse Breaker for Gringott’s, and how currently she was leaning most toward healing. After she established herself, she wanted to also work with The Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures to help fight for fare wedges and conditions for house elves. He’d told her of his want to become a potions master as he’d excelled so well in the subject. Then, as the sun was almost completely risen, he had to ask her the one question that terrified him.

“Breakfast will start soon.” He said.

“Thank god too, I’m starving.” She said drawing circles on his side as she lie across his chest.

“Where do we go from here though?” He said quietly pulling her close.

“Well you decided if you want to tell your friends, I’m going to tell mine if that’s ok.” She said as if were as easy as that.

“Your friends will never be ok with this. You realize that right?” He said annoyed at the fact.

“What is this Draco? I mean are we going to just share a bed and what not, no expectations, or is this something more? What do you want this to be? I won’t tell anyone if you don’t want me to, but if this is something, I’d rather not keep my friends in the dark.” Hermione said.

“I want you in my life as long as you want to be. That’s what this is, me wanting to prove for as long as I can that I’ve changed, and that you deserve someone amazing. You can decided a label if you need it.” He said kissing her forehead.

“Well then I will tell my friends we’re in a relationship,” she said trying to hide her blush. “What will you tell your friends?”

“Well I only have one friend, so that’s easy, I’ll tell Blaise ‘remember that girl you caught in my bed before we came back? I snagged her’.” He said laughing as she shot out of his arms.

“BLAISE SAW ME IN YOUR BED?!?!” She yelled.

“Only for a minute, don’t worry. I told him I didn’t defile the Gryfindor Princess.” He said smirking. “Honestly though, I’ll tell him I was lucky enough to that you’re willing to tolerate me. Although I should warn you, Blaise is quite the gossip, so the rest of the school will probably know before lunch.”

She laughed at that. “I’ve never even heard Blaise talk, it’s kind of hard to believe him to be the school gossip.”

“Oh trust me, thank your lucky stars. Once Blaise starts talking, he never shuts up.” Draco said imaging his best friend’s reaction.

“Well I suppose we might as well face the music.” She said getting up and kissing him quickly before leaving his room.

~~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione and Draco left separately for breakfast, Draco heading straight down, and Hermione deciding to go meet Harry and Ginny at Gryfindor tower. Draco walked into the Great Hall smiling as he sank into his usual seat at the Slytherin table. Blaise was already there, reading the paper and stuffing his face.

“Merlin, has Draco Malfoy decided I’m worth of his presence?” Blaise said mockingly.

“Shove off, I’ve been busy alright.” Draco said casually.