59. a series of letters

chapter fifty-nine,

a series of letters

Dear Beatrice,

How are you doing?

I heard from Massimo that things got a little out of hand while I was away, and am just checking in to make sure you're okay. You know how your father can be sometimes, but remember he never means any harm, the silly man.

Either way, I was thinking the three of us could take a trip this summer, without Massimo, maybe as a little "bonding holiday"? We haven't been to the Americas in years, and I have an old friend from school who lives in Mexico City that we could stay with. We could make it a tour of sorts.

Either way, let me know if this is something you'd like to do.

Lots of love,

Mum

Dear Mum,

I'm doing brilliantly, thank you for asking! I've been spending some more time with Reg and I got an E on my Care For Magical Creatures Exam!

The trip to the Americas sounds nice, but Tiziana invited me over for the summer and I'd love to spend some more time with her, especially since we only got to see each other for a few hours over the Christmas holidays.

Sorry Mum, I'll see you next Christmas though!

Love, Beatrice

Hi Tizzy!

Do you think I could come round yours this summer?

Father's gone psycho on me so I can't go back there, and I need an excuse to get out of this trip with him and Mum but I don't think I want to run away for good yet. Could you ask your parents? (Don't show them this letter!)

See you soon, I hope.

—Beatrice

Say less.

—Tizzy