19. defence against the dark arts and dorcas meadowes

chapter nineteen,

defence against the dark arts and dorcas meadowes

After showing Regulus where McGonagall's transfiguration classroom was, Beatrice rushed back down four flights of stairs, quickly turning into her new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Sallow's, classroom.

"Sorry I am late, Professor. I was showing a first-year where the transfiguration classroom is, because somebody," (Beatrice looked pointedly at Sirius)"couldn't be bothered to help their own brother out." Beatrice knew that she would have walked with Regulus regardless of if Sirius had come, but she couldn't miss such an obvious opportunity to make a jab at him. Sirius snickered.

Professor Sallow just waved her off. "No problem at all, we were just getting started now anyways. Go take a seat."

Beatrice glanced around the room to evaluate her options — it seemed as though they were sharing this class with the Ravenclaws. James looked rather pleased that he had somehow managed to get a seat right next to Lily in one of the middle rows, Sirius and Peter were sitting next to each other suspiciously close to the front, and Remus was sitting all by himself at the back of the class. Without second thought, Beatrice strode up to him, and set her bag down. "Hello, Remus."

The young half-blood gave her a hesitant smile before suddenly frowning, and turning to face the front of the classroom again. Beatrice wondered why she was friends with some of the strangest, and most moody boys on the planet. First Regulus, and now Remus?

"So as I was saying, while your previous instructor seems to have spent a great deal of time teaching you about dark wizards, you are severely lacking in the domain of dark creatures. Who here can tell me what a grindylow is?" The whole class, with the exception of a couple of Ravenclaws, seemed stumped. "Yes, Miss..."

"Meadowes, sir. Grindylows are a type of dark creature which dwell in fresh water systems. They eat fish, and are aggressive towards wizards and muggles alike — although there have been some cases of grindylows being tamed by merfolk."

Professor Sallow looked rather surprised. "Well, yes. You are entirely right. Take ten points for Ravenclaw."

Dorcas Meadowes blushed and looked back down at her piece of paper she was doodling on.

"And what about pogrebins?" This time, Dorcas was the only person to raise her hand, giving another answer Beatrice would later learn was almost word for word from their DADA textbook.