Tea with Thranduil

Thranduil detested waiting, even in the perfectly charming already furnished townhome that Beriadan had procured for him in the finest neighborhood of the city. He had never been the most patient person, and by the second morning that his guards had left, both his porter and valet were completely exhausted trying to keep up with his demands. He wanted a bath drawn-just the right temperature, mind you!-then tea served, he wanted the shades lowered, he needed the settee and all the furniture turned facing east, was there not anymore of that excellent wine, and could the valet venture back to the market for some more of those berries? Needless to say, the porter was more than overjoyed when a willing distraction presented itself to take the king's mind off of the search for his son.

A young gangly elf had arrived at their door, seeking audience with the king. He claimed to have information of the utmost importance, and although the porter scoffed at this notion, the frazzled elf jumped at the chance to have someone else entertain his majesty-even if only for a short while.

Barathion, son of Baros, peered through the door to which that most unhappy of porters had delivered him. There sat the king directly across from him, posed regally at a long table, and the snowy crest of the Lonely Mountain gleamed through the bright window behind him. The table was neatly kept, with two piles of parchment-one of blank pieces, and the other of neatly penned correspondence. The king stopped mid-sentence and slowly lifted his eyes to the door at the first sound of intrusion. Barathion straightened, and then thought better of it and bowed somewhat clumsily.

Thranduil tilted his head, just ever so slightly at the unlooked for appearance of this young ellon; of course, he remembered the youth-the misunderstanding of the giant owls had been most amusing, albeit rather silly.

Barathion hesitated-the king's piercing blue eyes rattled all the coherent thoughts right out of his head! Then when he finally pulled himself together, all the words came out in a rush: "Your majesty, King Thranduil, sir-I know you only just spoke with me at Faendol vineyard, but I found something out-something you may wish to know!"

Thranduil steepled his hands together under his chin and nodded for the young elf to continue.

"I know that you were looking for Prince Legolas, who in turn had left to search for the young elf maiden who ran away-" but Barathion did not have a chance to finish this thought, for he was cut off by another smaller voice, who edged in front of him through the door frame.

"I did not run away," Narylfiel clarified, meeting the king's gaze directly. "I strategically left without notice."

A ghost of a smile appeared on the king's lips. Thranduil then rose from his table and crossed the room to greet her. "I do not believe that we have met," he said, battling mixed feelings of amusement and disdain for this child whose antics had already caused him quite a bit of trouble.

"Your highness, I am Narylfiel, daughter of Belchuil," she said smartly, tacking on a surprisingly dainty curtsy at the end.

"I have heard much of you, young lady, but I think that I shall like to hear the tale again, from your own lips this time."

He eyed Barathion. "I would like to speak with young Narylfiel alone," Thranduil said dismissively. "My porter will attend to your needs." Then he shut the door in Barathion's face and led Narylfiel over to a pair of cozy armchairs by the hearth. He could not help but notice the way her eyes lit up at the sight of the well-stocked tea cart.

"Please, help yourself," he said, "for you must be famished after the ride to Dale. Why did Barathion bring you here, young one?"

Narylfiel glanced up from her plate loaded with tiny tea cakes, berry tarts, and scrumptious looking cucumber sandwiches and decided in that moment that she liked the Elven King, very much so.