Higher Ground

Chapter 7: Higher Ground

Legolas dismounted first, quickly securing his horse Locien, and then turned to Thaliniel to help her dismount. In only a few minutes, the once dusty trail had already deepened into a mass of impassable mud.

"We need to move to higher ground," Legolas shouted above the din of the storm. This road ran too closely to the river for his comfort, for he had heard many a story in his father's halls about travelers caught unaware by rapidly rising water. He angled his head toward the rising bank for Thaliniel to see his intended path and then started leading the horses off the road. Thaliniel followed closely behind him, thankful for the fact that she had at least had the presence of mind to change into her boots before leaving home.

The rain continued to pour heavily, making their traverse up the higher bank even more treacherous. More than once, Thaliniel felt her feet slip out from under her, only to be steadied by the elf beside her. She could not be more grateful or appreciative for him, even though the pace he kept up the hill away from the road demanded every bit of her energy and endurance. Still she kept close behind him, not daring to slow, for even she had noticed the swell of water now covering the road behind her.

"Locien, the water rises quickly," she called to him, and for a moment, he turned and looked, his face and hair slick with rain as he shielded his eyes with a slender hand to aid his view.

"I think we will be out of danger once we reach the top of this hill, Thaliniel," he told her, his voice confident. "We might be able to take shelter under one of those trees, provided that it does not start lightning."

Once they reached the small grove of oaks at the top of the hill, Legolas secured the horses to graze under the shelter of the broad limbs. At last he lowered his cloak and gazed at the elleth apologetically. They were both completely drenched, and with the intensity of the storm, he had very little chance of making a lasting fire. All of the potential wood would be too wet. "Thaliniel," he said at last, "I am sure the other elves had to stop as well. Your sister cannot be too far ahead. Hopefully, we will meet up with them in Dale, once the storm is over. "

"What now, then?" she asked, unused to life on the trail. The rain had dampened her spirits a little, but she did feel like she could really trust the elf before her. "I had hoped we might find Narylfiel and return home within the day, but I guess that was completely unrealistic of me."

"Well, now we wait," Legolas said, meeting her eyes awkwardly. "The ground is pretty wet, but I can give you a boost into the tree."

She smirked and then pulled herself up onto the lowest hanging branch. "A boost will not be necessary," she told him. "I used to climb that big tree outside the guest room all the time, much to my aunt's unending dismay."

"Right," Legolas remembered aloud as he climbed up beside her, "the tree that you said was so perfect for sneaking out at night, not that you would know..."

She grinned. "Of course not, Locien."

Her easy, trusting smile only served to make him feel that much worse. Legolas had grown up hating the disingenuousness of his father's courtiers; they had always seemed to him so phony, so false. Only now, given a chance to start fresh and be on his own, Legolas was every bit as guilty. His hypocrisy sickened him, and he fully regretted the lies and misdirection that he had earlier endorsed. Thaliniel did not even know his given name, and a part of him, one that was growing more difficult to ignore, wanted to hear his real name on her lips.

"Thaliniel," he began uncomfortably, but she interrupted him by pointing down the slope of the hill.

The water still rose, but now they were not the only creatures seeking higher ground. A trio of orcs had just crossed the muddy road and had started to make their way up the hill, toward the very trees where Legolas and Thaliniel had sought shelter.