Chapter 9: Deluge

Chapter 9: Deluge

It was now or never. The prince of Mirkwood took a deep breath and met her eyes, bracing himself for the deluge of questions to come. "You asked for the truth about my father," he began slowly. "Well, the truth is...my father is King Thranduil."

Thaliniel's mouth hung open for a split second before she snapped it shut and shook her head disbelievingly. "But that would make you... You..." She stammered.

"Prince Legolas," he supplied helpfully, and it must be said that now his secret was out, a small little part of him was enjoying her reaction.

She narrowed her eyes as his revelation sank in, and then reached over and smacked him with her bag.

Legolas feigned mock horror. "You would dare to strike the royal person?"

Thaliniel refused to be amused. "Are you really trying to make a joke out of this, Prince Legolas? After you lied to me? This whole time?" She smacked him again. "Of all the..."

"I know, I know," insisted Legolas, "and I really felt horrible about it too!"

"So who is Locien?" She said as she crossed her arms, feeling a little like a kettle about to steam.

He at least had the decency to look mildly chagrined. "My horse," he supplied softly.

"Your horse," she repeated dully. "Really."

Legolas decided to explain himself.

"Look, Thaliniel. I am a horrible liar, always have been."

"Didn't let that stop you," Thaliniel muttered.

He grabbed her by the upper arms so she would face him, so he could read the condemnation in her eyes. He knew he deserved the full measure of her anger.

"You are right, Thaliniel," he said slowly. "You have every right to be angry with me. What I did was wrong. I should have just told you the truth, the moment you opened the door." He paused and looked her at her squarely. "But when I came to your estate, I was running away-from my duties, from the palace, from my father, from everything. I was just so tired of being Prince Legolas, and I know that sounds like a whiny thing to say..."

"A little bit," she agreed, but her eyes had softened.

Feeling foolish, he cast his eyes down, away from the censure he might find in her own, and stared at his bag. He was surely the most moronic elf that had ever lived. By now, he was certain that his father had uncovered his little deception in the palace ledgers concerning his whereabouts, so Thranduil was probably livid. And how embarrassing would it be for his friends in the forest guard to be sent out looking for him, like an errant schoolboy? Then, to top it all off, Thaliniel sat there eying him like he was lower than dwarf-scum.

Since the situation, in his somewhat naïve opinion, could not possibly worsen, Legolas decided to go ahead and tell the elleth sitting across from him the entire story.

The prince hesitated and then pushed his hair away from his face and then met Thaliniel's eyes directly. He definitely had her attention now. Whatever downsides came with being a prince, one benefit included the ability to command attention when he wanted it at least. "Some of the things I told you were true, Thaliniel," he clarified, his voice quiet. "I do keep the ledgers for my father. I have been doing it for years...and I detest it."

"Then why keep doing it?" she asked, not unkindly. "I am sure there are other elves who could do the same job."

Legolas groaned. It really did sound all so simple when she said it, but the truth was ever so more complicated. How could he help her see past the glamour of the title and crown to see the true burden of his lineage, of the expectations set upon him? "You don't understand, Thaliniel. My father-" Words failed him.

"Then help me understand," she said, and without thinking, reached for his hand. She wanted to forgive him. For all intents and purposes, this was the same elf that she had admired, trusted, and wanted for a friend. His being a prince should not change the way she felt about him.

"I trained for the forest guard when I was younger," Legolas began. "In truth, it was all I really ever wanted to do. But before the induction and oath ceremony, my father called me to his study. He requested that I not join that year-he just feared for my safety, and would I mind waiting?" Legolas cut his eyes over to the elleth before continuing in a flat voice. "That was over four hundred years ago. In the meantime, he has increased my duties at court-vendor ledgers, tax collections, finances, not to mention the deadly boredom of all the diplomatic meetings and appearances."

The prince shook his head in disgust. "Do not misunderstand me, Thaliniel. I love my father-dearly-but..."

"Legolas," she said quietly. "Do you not believe-" but he cut her off.

"Say that again," he requested, his eyes deepening.

"What?" Thaliniel said, unable to fathom where to look. His gaze overpowered her, and he still held onto her hand.

"You said my name," he said with a tiny smile. "'Tis so much better than being called by my horse's name." He had no idea why hearing his name, his real name, upon her lips could have such an effect over him, but just then it did, and despite the misery of their conditions, Legolas wanted to kiss her right then and there.

Of course, he did not do any such thing. For starters, royal princes did not kiss young maidens in trees, especially young maidens with soft brown, trusting eyes. He was supposed to be helping her! Not wooing her! Legolas mentally chided himself again for his ridiculous behavior. He had been acting the fool ever since first meeting her-nay, ever since he read her "Wanderlust" story.

"The rain has cleared up," he said and stared at her fingers interlocked with his own, before gently releasing her hand. "We should leave. I am sure we will find your sister and the other elves in Dale. It would be the most logical place for them to stop during the storm."

"Good idea," she answered with a sigh of relief. He was undoubtedly the most intense young elf she had ever met. Those eyes! If she were not careful, they would be the undoing of her.

Both the elves slid down from out of the tree, their hearts gladdened to see the return of their horses as they trotted in from over the next hill. The storm had broken, leaving the sky awash in brilliant blue, and in the distance, Thaliniel could see the jagged line of rooftops and curls of smoke from tall chimneys. Dale. Surely she would find Narylfiel there and could return home.

She cast her eyes over to the prince, who had restrung his bow and mounted his horse, looking more maddeningly handsome than any elf had any right to look. How could she have not before noticed his glorious resemblance to the elven king? She undoubtedly needed to be more careful with her feelings concerning him; Locien, the accountant, she might have had a chance pursuing, but Legolas, the prince? Forget it. Never mind that he looked like he wanted to kiss her earlier. Thaliniel quickly squashed the warm glow accompanying that thought. He was far too dangerous for his own good, and seemingly unaware of it to boot, which was even worse! No, she needed to focus on finding her sister and returning home safely. Home was where they both belonged.

But Thaliniel could not help but remember that quick warm glow and the look in the prince's eyes, and if she were honest with herself, the longing in her heart had very little to do with returning home.