A Captive Audience

Legolas could hardly believe his ears. They had ridden past flooded roads, orcs, and bandits in hot pursuit of Thaliniel's sister, only to discover now that she had never gone with the Rivendell elves, and his lovely companion had not taken the news well.

Thaliniel might have all the appearances of being a sweet young maiden, but Legolas also knew first hand the strength of her resolve-he had watched her get manhandled and punched in a bar fight to being nearly drowned, and she had taken all of those events in stride. Hearing the bad news that her sister was not where they believed, on the other hand, had her crumpling over in his arms like a wilted fern.

Legolas steadied Thaliniel, wrapping one arm firmly about her shoulders. "If Narylfiel did not come with the Rivendell elves," he thought out loud, "then where could she possibly be?"

Thaliniel looked visibly ill, and the prince guided her to a fallen log where she could sit down, which she did, still looking visibly shaken at the latest news, her eyes rimmed with the slightest sheen of unshed tears.

"Stay with us tonight," one of the Rivendell elves said suddenly to Legolas. "She's in no shape to ride anywhere tonight, and this is as good as stopping place as any for us."

"Thank you, but--," Legolas hesitated, eyeing Thaliniel with care.

The other dark-haired brother spoke up. "Please, we must insist! We have plenty of provisions."

Legolas nodded. "Thank you, we will," he answered for the both of them.

As evening sank in, dull of stars with a new moon that shrank the sky around them into a pitch-dark void, the elves circled themselves around a contrastingly chipper fire that did little to raise Thaliniel's spirits. Legolas attended her faithfully, rarely leaving her side, except to fetch her a small bowl of stew and something to drink.

The two brothers watched her carefully, and noting the prince's concern, did their best to try and raise her spirits.

"Since this seems to be the night for surprises, Lady Thaliniel," one of them began slyly, "you may be equally surprised to learn that, like the prince here, my brother and I were not entirely honest with you concerning our names and parentage."

Thaliniel straightened up and brushed a droopy lock of hair from out of her tired eyes. "Do not tell me," she said flatly, "you are actually the sons of Lady Galadriel."

One of the twins laughed and poked the fire, sending up a merry spray of sparks. "Her grandsons, actually," he corrected her.

Despite herself, Thaliniel laughed and covered her face. "Oh no!"

The other twin spoke up quickly, "Our father is Lord Elrond of Imladris. I am Elladan, and this is Elrohir," he said, gesturing to his brother.

Thaliniel's face flushed. "How can anyone ever tell you apart?" she wondered.

Elrohir laughed again, his face creasing into dimples. "Easy, really. I am the handsome one!"

Elladan gave his brother a hard look. "We are sorry to have deceived you, my lady--our father instructed us to keep a low profile during our journey."

Thaliniel looked to Legolas and then to the two dark-haired elves sitting before her. "What is wrong with you? Honestly," she exclaimed, pointing to the three of them. "Fake names! Is this some unwritten rule among nobles?"

"Well, who knows what Legolas' idiotic reasons were for lying, but we would have told you who we were had the prince not been hanging around when we arrived," explained Elrohir. "My brother recognized you right away," he said with a nod to the prince.