Dinner (and a show)

Wanderlust

Chapter 3: Dinner (and a show)

The dining room at Faendol was open and airy, with a long table complete with a heavy dark green table cloth and an ivory woven table runner, illuminated by several long tapered candles on gleaming silver bases, which spoke of the vineyards' affluence and long success. Legolas could imagine that the master of the vineyard, Belchuil, must enjoy the niceties of society and gentle conversation, for the whole room suggested a sense of poise and sophistication.

This particular dinner, however, proved to be like nothing Legolas expected, or had ever even experienced, for that matter.

Aunt Maeben presided austerely over the head of the table, explaining that she had been raising her brothers' two daughters since their mother had died shortly after the birth of Narylfiel.

Narylfiel and Thaliniel's seats were conspicuously vacant.

Legolas took his seat, not sure of what to make of the sisters' absences. By the time a servant brought in the soup, their seats were still empty.

Then he heard what could only be defined as a tortured screech.

"No, no, no! I won't!" the first voice shouted. It had to be the younger sister.

"You have to! He's already in there," the second voice hissed.

Legolas glanced over to Aunt Maeben to see her press her fingers to her temple as though her head ached. She shook her head apologetically.

"Make him leave!" Narylfiel protested, and soon sounds of scuffling reached the hall outside the dining room, almost as if Thaliniel was dragging her sister to dinner.

She poked her head in the door and gripped the frame with one hand, like she had to brace herself from some unseen force.

"Just one moment," she mouthed and whipped back around to the other side of the door.

In a few seconds, Narylfiel entered the room, her face bright red, eyes brimming with angry tears. She glared at Legolas. As they took their seats and Thaliniel whispered something into her aunt's ear, the elfling stuck her tongue out at Legolas.

Her audacity surprised him, but even more shocking was that he actually retaliated by sticking his tongue back out at her, confident that the exchange had been completely missed by the two older women. He could not help but smile after the exchange, but Narylfiel only narrowed her eyes at him.

Thaliniel quickly took her place across from Legolas, trying her best to pretend that nothing had happened.

"So, Master Locien, working in the halls of the King Thranduil must be very exciting. I am sure you must see all sorts of exciting events and people there, not to mention the royal family themselves, King Thranduil and Prince Legolas. What are they like?"

Legolas choked on his soup. He could feel his ears burning. He sputtered and then coughed, and then Narylfiel stood on her chair so she could smack him hard between the shoulder blades.

"Excuse me," Legolas said at last now that his whole countenance was tinged pink. "So, the royal family," he began uncomfortably, "I believe that you would find them to be just like any other elves you might meet. I spend much of my time in the offices of the palace...it is a pretty quiet life." Talk about evading the question. This was proving more difficult than he believed possible, yet every word he said was true.

Narylfiel's eyes began to gleam. "Yes, but the Royal Guard is stationed right there! They defend the palace from orcs and insurgents, from beasts!" She looked at Legolas directly now, her old grievances forgotten. "Have you ever seen them fight?"