Chapter 14

Eve ran as fast as her legs would carry her. The car's roof was down and Chris looked like he was ready to pounce at any second, but he had to be ready to drive away the second Eve got in the car.

Eve tossed her bags in teh back seat then jumped - literally jumped - into the ront passenger seat with Paul only feet behind her.

"GO! DRIVE! NOW!" Eve screams.

Chris hits the gas and speeds off the second Paul's hands touch the car. Paul falls to the ground and watches as the person he hated more than anyone in the world drove off with his daughter.

Eve looked over her shoulder as Paul got further and further away from them. She then turned back around and buckled herself into her seat. Finally, she let out a long exhale.

"What the Hell happened?!" Chris exclaims, still driving incredibly fast. They had to have been going 90 miles an hour, if not more.

"I tried to show him he couldn't control me anymore! I told him I was running off with you!" Eve responds. She had to yell over the roaring wind as it flew past them because of how fast they were going.

"And?!"

Eve doesn't answer.

"Eve, what the fuck did he do?!"

Eve sighs, "He took off his belt and beat me with it."

"WHAT?!" Chris yells, slamming on the breaks, jolting himself and Eve forward. Their seatbelts caught them, then threw them back. Eve lets out a loud gasp, surprised.

"Sorry." Chris says.

Eve exhales, "It's fine." She breathes, "Anyway, after he beat me, he locked my door and my window so the only way for me to get out was to throw my Bible out the window and break it. And then...well you saw the rest of it."

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

Eve pauses. She brings her knees to her chest, then wraps her arms around her legs and lays her head on her knees.

"I don't know..." She says, quietly.

"Eve, do I need to take you to a hosp - "

"No!" Eve exclaims, "No, just...Just take me back to your house...Take me home, Chris."

A few raindrops begin to fall.

"Shit." Chris mutters under his breath. He pushes the button and the roof of the car makes it's way ack up. Once there, Chris starts driving again.

"Just hang in there, baby." Chris says, "We're almost home."

x

It was raining cats and dogs by the time they got back to Chris' house. Chris very quickly got out of the car as Eve slowly unbuckled herself. She was just now beginning to realize how much pain she was in. Chris grabbed Eve's things from the back seat, ran inside, set everything down, then ran back out and Eve was still geting out of the car. She shut the door, then slowly began walking to the house.

Chris takes her hand, "Eve, honey, come on. You're gonna freeze out here."

Chris leads Eve inside the house. He shuts the door behind them and shivers. Eve looked like she was going to burst into tears at any moment.

"Eve?"

Eve swallows, "It hurts."

Chris steps forward, "You're not gonna like this, but you need to let me see what he's done to you."

Eve takes a step back, "I told you, I'm fine."

"Eve, you need to let me see."

"Look, he ripped off my sweater and unzipped my dress so that he could hit my bare skin. And when he saw my tattoos, he..." She trails off, "It's...It's probably pretty bad, Chris, and I just...I don't want you to have to see that."