Chapter Five:

SHINICHI'S FUCK UP
»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«

It was difficult to put into words how anxious I was this morning. Ran has been talking my ear off all morning, any time between classes and there was a notification from her. My thoughts had finally rearranged themselves enough to make a coherent sentence. I called Ran back on the way home from school. "Ran, you have got to think of your phone bill."

"I know, but I'm so nervous. I can't pick out my outfit. Oh god, what do I wear?" The varied volumes of Kogoro-ojisan's voice in the background let me know just how nervous she was. I was tempted to tell her to stop her pacing and stir down but I steeled myself.

"Would you like to borrow some of my clothes or go shopping? We can make a day of it with Sonoko?"I kept my tone sweet on her and tried to calm her with other things to occupy herself with. Ran muttering came to a stop and she agreed. "Okay, I'm going to call Sonoko now and we can do whatever we need to for your date tomorrow." The grin was apparent and Ran halfheartedly scolded me.

" You still live at your parent's house right?"

"Yeah, I'll be moving into the new place later this week. I would very much appreciate it if you came so I can bully Shin-chan to take you out on another date."

"Oh, gracious one, however, can I repay you."Ran's familiar teasing tone that reminded me of her mother took over and brought a small smile to my face." Don't bother with bullying him into a date with me, like he'd take it that way."

I scoffed, "Really how smart can he really be when your feelings for him are so obvious?"

"Oh don't get started or we'll be talking all night." She hung up the call after we confirmed the time. Sonoko was easily down for it and dropped her newest hobby for us.

The day of Tropical Land date on yet another call between Ran, Sonoko, and I. "Okay so I'll stake out this cotton candy and do my best to keep Shinichi's ever-present casework away."

»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«

It didn't work.

In the beginning, when Shinichi and Ran were looking at the map on a bench near the entrance I could hear the employees talking quietly amongst themselves. Apparently, a joint family had meant to meet at the booth but they were a no-show. Another case, another bag of cotton candy.

Three cases; a missing person, a theft accusation, and accidental death in the last two hours. Shinichi had a case fall into his lap. A murder of all things.

By this point I was ready to become a suspect myself, this was Ran's treat but Shin-Chan has been an idiot and going off about Holmes for the ten-thousandth time. When Shinichi split off from Ran for gods knows what reason, I sat down next to Ran at a park bench. "Did you want me to go after him and try to steal away whatever has his attention?"

She gave a large sigh. "No, he's been antsy all day from the lack of casework this week. Just let him have it, and can you believe how he found out this girl was a gymnast. He looked so pleased with himself right in front of me. If you can look at this lady's legs to find that out and can pull your head out of your ass and figure out my crush on you."

As the gossiping began, the start of Kudo Shinichi's nightmare began.

»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«

"Ne Aoko why is Kaito using binoculars on the rink's wall" we skated slowly together weaving in between other skaters.

"Ah, I believe he is trying to calculate KIDs chances like he always does." That made me stop for a moment sliding to the rink's wall before leaning up next to Kaito.

"I could have told him KIDs chances anytime, any day. KID will be undefeated once again." Aoko puffed up and before she could respond I followed up," Hakuba is a new detective in Japan and Inspector Nakamori doesn't have the best track record when working with people our age. Inspector does better by himself." Kaito now seemed to observe the painting, completely enchanted. Aoko had a serious expression on her face.

"The culprit is you!" And she did a familiar pose that seemingly every high school detective does, one that I shall never do. Kaito, still stuck in his Kaito KID mindset, jumped pale face. " Everything has come to light."

I gave a pout." Aoko~ you don't need to copy him, you could copy me." Kaito looked lost.

"What, you don't know that famous tagline? I'm talking about the famous detective that just got back from London." Aoko was all smiles but couldn't be more unenthused.

"Yeah, a little too well." I drew circles into the wall with my finger. I pouted when Aoko focused her attention completely on Kaito.

He shrugged with his poor skating posture," What the hell do I care about that crap. Paris, London, or whatever, I'm not gonna humor you playing detective." Inaudibly, I shot back," That's not what you humored me with."

"Excuse me?! You're the one who invited us here, Kaito." He made some fighting word response back that made me tempted to trip him. And he did a very good job about making my wishes come true. All by himself when his best friend skated off without him. "So this is why you said the rink's condition was bad today and clung to the wall."

"Mm seems like it, Aoko. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Make him eat his words? Kaito, if you say Aoko-sama, please, I'll give you a hand." Aoko was feeling giddy and I couldn't blame her because of what I said next.

"And I'll even escort you back to safety~"
"I-I'm never gonna beg you like that!" And of course, my mind jumped to conclusions I will never speak out loud, *but you would beg with other ways*. He uselessly floundered like a fish for a long ten minutes as I started to get tired from holding my phone on record.

Retribution never tasted so sweet." Aoko-sama..." Aoko was too nice and helped him up all too quickly, admonishing him for not saying it earlier. I dragged him to the entrance, made him hold the wall, and got frustrated to the point of doing a partial princess carry just to get his ass back on land.

»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«»«

Hey, guys I know it's been a very longggg time but I know have a plot thought of and I'm now posting this on AO3! This version will probably be less edited because I just need to post it :) gotta happen serotonin so I can sleep. I have two other chapters ready but imma start working on the next few unless this builds traction o.o anywayyys imma just go to bed cuz its like 5 in the morning. sheesh nigh night