Murderous Monday

Chapter 10: Murderous Monday

Saturday was just amazing. I definitely had the most amazing weekend of my life with Katherine Schmidt. I don't think I have enjoyed so much, ever! Blended, the movie, was hilarious and absolutely amazing. I couldn't stop laughing throughout the movie. I could tell that, Kate, had a great time as well. Going around town to her favorite restaurant, going to her house, meeting 'Tom', helping her in the kitchen and eating dinner. I don't think I could have had a better time.

On Sunday, we just sat at home and talked for hours, till Kate had to go back home and write her article for the newspaper.On Sunday, I came to know so much about her. She loves to travel, cook, listen to music and read books. She also loves her job.

Coming back to today. Monday. A dreadful day for so many people. The first day after the weekend. The day they have to work without any excuse, unless it is a holiday. It's a day that children loathe, since they have to get up in the morning and go to school and get loads of homework.

Mondays are my favorite. I like to call them 'Murderous Monday'. It is the day of getting a new case assigned or to try a new case in court. The fresh face of a criminal or an innocent person. It is so revealing to know that my skills, my practice and everything I can offer them is in demand. No matter who it is, it is me who they want for their case. That is the reason I love to call Monday, Murderous Monday.

Today was the day of the murder hearing in court. Everyone was very anxious of what was the result going to be. Mom asked me to go to the court with her. We were waiting on the court room for the others to come. As I sat next to mom, she was so nervous. She was constantly checking her nails, fidgeting with her hands, adjusting her hair, and what not.

"Mom, are you scared or nervous?" I asked her. "A little." She said. "Why?" I asked her. She looked at me with murderous eyes. "Stop looking at me. Those eyes really freaks me out. Nona does it all the time, when I don't do what she asks me to. Just answer my question, please." I said. "It's just, that after so many years I am doing a case with your father. He was the best lawyer of his times and he still is. Anyone who would go up against him, wouldn't have the guts to say anything. He was so good! He still hasn't lost a single case." She said.

"Mom, you don't need to be scared. You are a great lawyer, too. Your name is on the door and not dads. You can be better than him at all of this. You don't need to scared or nervous at all. It can either be all about him or it can be all about you!" I said and pointed at her. She didn't say anything for a minute. It was like she was thinking about what I said. "You are right, Thomas. I can be better than him. It's my name on the door and not his. And this case is definitely going to be all about me. He is my client and not his. He called me for help, he just walked into my cabin looking handsome and charming as always and took over the case." She said.

Oh my god! My parents are like children. They have this competition sort of thing. According to me, they act even worse than kids. It is horrible that they do this. I have seen people compete before, but nothing like this. They work in the same firm and this is how they act. They are not even enemies. They don't work in different firms. Denny was the man who had hired my dad as a lawyer, at the London firm almost thirty years ago, when he had gone to London.

As soon as everyone arrived, mom dragged me inside the court room along with her. She told me, rather ordered me to sit right behind her.

While I was sitting there, someone covered my eyes. I inhaled a sweet smelling perfume, the kind that Kate wears. I immediately knew it was her. I didn't say anything and just smiled to myself.

Suddenly I heard a whisper in my ear "Guess who I am." Said Kate. "It's you!" I said. "Who you?" She asked. "You you, dummy." I said.

I felt her hands leave my face. I looked up to see Kate giving me a very sad look. "What?" I asked. "You couldn't even guess!" She sounded very disappointed.