New York

Chapter 2: New York

Going to New York after fifteen long years, everything looks so different. Well it has been a long time, so I guess it's obviously going to be different, right?

My mom didn't pick me up from the airport, instead she sent her current boyfriend to get me. His name is Carl. I don't like him. I have to stay at my mom's house until I know my whereabouts in New York again. Yay me.

Mom and Carl are getting married in the next three months and I'm beginning to think that is another reason she called me here. I slept like a baby last night. Well, after such a long and tiring flight, who wouldn't?

I woke up the next morning and padded to the kitchen, yawning. I poured myself a cup of coffee and sat on the stool by the counter. So what if I was brought up in England I don't like tea? Coffee is something I can't survive without in the morning. It is my drug.

Mom and Carl were sitting opposite me. Both of them were staring at me. God knows why and how long. Do I have something on my face? Maybe it was because I was only wearing my boxers. Maybe it was the new tattoo...

"So, when did you get that tattoo, Thomas?" Mom asked me. I guessed right.

I shrugged. "Uh.. About three years back." I mumbled, drinking some more coffee.

She didn't look very pleased with my answer. "And why did you get a tattoo?" She asked as curiosity filled her eyes.

I frowned at her, "I don't know just felt like it was the right thing to do at the time." I replied.

"So, do you always sleep like this everyday?" Carl piped up. Oh... I forgot he was there too...

My frown deepened. "I mean in nothing but... boxers?" He had this disgusted look on his face.

I want to hit you.

"Yes I do!" I snapped, slamming my cup onto the surface of the table. "And I have been doing so since I was twelve years old. If you have a problem with that, then I really don't care." I got up from my seat and walked out of the kitchen.

I had a refreshing, long and warm bath. I wore a pair of blue jeans and a white shirt along with my white sneakers. I walked into the living room and waited for mom to get dressed. I was sitting on the couch scrolling through my phone, when she appeared at the door.

"Why are you all dressed up, Thomas?" She asked me.

I glanced up at her and away from the screen, "I just thought I'd tag along with you guys and see the firm since I'll have nothing to do if I stay here." I told her honestly.

After that, Carl came in the living room. She and Carl seemed to be having some sort of discussion.

"Okay. You can come with us... but you will not be working until next week." She said and I just stared at her.

I raised an eyebrow. "So you expect me to stay in this house for a week without doing anything?"

"Yes I do." She glared at me.

"But why?" I whined.

"Because, I need you to know everything around here and then you are able to come to work!"

I pouted. "Argh... How will I get to know everything in a week?" I groaned.

"I expect you to, because the son I know is supposedly a bloody genius, he isn't worried or afraid of anything."

Damn it's really hard to argue with my mother. She hasn't even stayed under the same roof as me for more than a month and she already knows me better than I know myself.

"Can I come and see what the firm looks like?"

"Yeah you can do that, but if you even dare to take any file in your hand, Thomas Reilly." she warned. I raised my hands up in defeat, nodding.

We left the house and I felt a strong tug on my shirt. I looked behind and saw it was Carl. "Why the hell are you tugging on my shirt? No one does tha..."

Before I could finish what I was about to say, he covered my mouth with his hand. "I want to warn you about one thing. Do not sleep with anyone form the firm, boy. Knowing what kind of person you are... If you even look at a woman at the firm then you'll have me to deal with, got it?" He growled. I nodded. I guess it was more of a threat rather than a warning.

But truth be told I'm not scared if anyone. I don't get scared. Carl's my mom's boyfriend. He isn't my father. He has no right to snap at me like that.

We got inside the car and mom looked at us curiously. "So what where you boys talking about?" She asked us.

Carl turned around in his seat to look at me and we were just giving each other weird looks on what to say and then he looked at my hand and said, "I was just asking him if his hand was better now."

Yeah I sprained my hand while I was trying to carry my bag to my room. I never thought that Carl would be able to carry that bag of mine. He actually carried the bag to my room (technically mom's guest room.)

On the ride to the firm I was just staring outside the window. New York is really a very beautiful city. It's a busy place, filled with all different kind if people. You get to see different things here, but there is nothing like my home, London.

We reached the firm and it looks exactly like the firm in London. "Mom, do all the firms look exactly the same?" I asked her.

"Yes, everything looks exactly the same, because I love to feel at home where ever I am." She said.

I put my hands behind my back and asked her innocently "Can I get the office that looks exactly like mine in London?"

She shrugged and said "I planned on giving it to you anyway."

Mom showed me around the firm and it's exactly like the firm in London. Every single thing is exactly the same. She and Carl walked me to my cabin and my mouth just fell open. The chair, the table, the books on the shelf and all the other stuff. By the time I finished looking at the cabin mom and Carl had already left.

I took my time to look around the whole office. I also found the lounge. I met some people there and they asked me, if I was actually Thomas Reilly. Like people have never seen my face on some magazine covers or the news channel. Sometimes I feel it is absolutely stupid the way people react when the don't believe that the person is actually standing in front of them.

Mom introduced me to all the staff members in the firm. She also got me an assistant, which is one thing I very much need. Mom also introduced me to the other name partners, junior and senior partners. Truly speaking, I looked up at Denny Jordan as my role model, he hasn't lost a single case till date. But not anymore. He hasn't faught a single case in the past year and people at the firm say, he is not in his state of mind to go to court and fight a case.

On the other hand is Sean Flynn. He is a greatly respected and talented lawyer. He still fights cases in the court. He doesn't win all of them, but it's enough that he wins some cases.

Now coming back to me. Since, Denny Jordan was my role model, I made it a point to fight every case with strategy and confidence. I guess me doing so is the reason I haven't lost a single case so far.

It was lunch and Mom was talking about her best friend who works at the firm. She was saying that they have been friends since mom came to New York and how they have been through everything together. Mom wouldn't stop talking about their friendship. I looked at Carl and he gave me a sympathetic look and mouthed 'I have to hear this almost everyday.' I couldn't help but chuckle at what he said.

Thank god mom wasn't paying attention or I would be dead by now. Soon mom's friend came. "Oh my god! He's growing up so fast. I saw him only three years back and now look at him." She looked at me and continued to babble on, "Well he is extremely handsome now." I smiled at her.

Mom asked me to go fetch both of them some coffee. As I turned around to go get the coffee, I saw her...