Tickets

Chapter 14: Tickets

I woke up in the morning with my head feeling heavy. My head hurt worse than a hangover headache. It was all such a blur! The medicines prescribed by the doctor are of a pretty heavy dosage. It made me drowsy and sick really fast. I just sat there on the bed for a couple of minutes till those feelings went away.

I tried to get up and failed at it miserably. I tried to get up a few more times. It would be like I can stand up, but my legs would wobble like jelly and I would sit back down. This the reason I hate hospitals. One seems absolutely fine there, but when you go home there are so many other problems you have to deal with. And jelly legs can't be dealt with at all and I hate jelly legs!

Failing so many times to stand straight up by myself, I decided that I would call mom, Carl or dad for help. And that would be after I fell with a loud thud on the marble floor. Which by the way is extremely cold after you leave the window open throughout the night in the middle of April. It's neither too hot nor too cold in April, but at night a person can freeze if the leave the whole window open. I reached for my phone that was on the bedside table. I called mom. After a few rings she received the call.

"Hey mom." I said softly. "Why are you calling me on my cell phone, when we live in the same house." She yelled into the phone forcing me to take the phone away from my ear, just incase I didn't want to go deaf. "Ugh... I kind of fell down on the floor when I tried to get up from the bed on my own." I said and all I heard was her laughing and after that she hung up the phone.

Shortly after our conversation the door opened with mom, dad and Carl standing there and laughing like there was no tomorrow. I just stared at them and they laughed even more. "Come on, it isn't funny. Now, please help me up the marble floor, it is too cold to sleep on it or to lay down on!" I said as the marble felt even colder, since the window was still open and I was wearing only sweatpants. Now, I regret not wearing a T-shirt. They laughed for a good five minutes. They did find it amusing, but lying down on a cold marble floor is not amusing at all.

Carl and dad walked over and helped me up. Dad put my arm around his shoulder and Carl did the same with my other arm. They helped walk till the kitchen and made me sit down on the stool. It felt weird when they both helped me. It was like finally my parents care about me and they do love me and my dad finally knows that I exist. Now, I have Carl who cares about me, too. I remember that when I first came to New York he use to hate me more than anything in the world because of who I was, but now I think he has started liking me. Well, Thomas Reilly can charm anyone and everyone. Nah! I'm just joking.

Sometimes I just wonder why my mom never told my dad about me. I still don't understand why they left me with Nona and grandpa. Some things are better left unsaid or just kept away from what is going on right now. There are so many things going on and mom is a mess. The firm's problem isn't getting solved any faster, the wedding is coming up soon, and there are so many things to do. Maybe I should really back down from asking them that.

Sometimes it's just out of your hands or your thoughts on what they do. It is hard to ask them why did they do so. I did ask Nona a couple of times, but she never told me anything. She would just make a face and walk away. They never even told me that my parents existed. I never saw a picture of theirs. I would only imagine how they looked like and when I saw them, they looked nothing like my imagination.

When I was twelve and I had come to New York. That's fifteen years ago and it's a very long time. I didn't even ask my mom then, that why did she leave me there and never told me who my father was. I was just so happy to finally meet my mother that I forgot about everything else. The first time I met my father was at Olive Garden, where I met everyone else. I don't know why, but it felt like I had seen him before somewhere. I just can't seem to remember where I had seen him. I have never seen him at the London office before, could be somewhere else.