two

"Why are you so nice to me?"

***

It was strange to see Lydia Martin upset. She didn't care what others thought about her neither did she adore the attention. Yet, her perfect exterior had been shattered by her cheating ex-boyfriend. Lydia could have any boy she wanted, but why couldn't she keep them?

At school, she hid herself away from the nosy student body. The only place of solace she could find was the library. No one would expect to find her there, hidden away in the quietest corner. Despite contrary belief, Lydia was one of the smartest students in school. Her intellect went far beyond witty remarks and sharp comebacks. One day, she was sure to be a shoo-in for a Fields Medal.

People assumed she was the cliche mean girl with a harsh exterior, but that wasn't true. Sure, she might come across mean to others and intentionally hurt people's feelings, though that was only to prevent people from knowing her true identity.

She slouched back against the bookshelves, having no interest in reading a single book. All she needed to do was wait until her next class to begin and then afterwards return home. However, she would have to wait a while since her mother was a teacher at the school and was her only ride home.

"Hey," a sudden voice spoke. Lydia jumped a little, the voice sounding so close to her. She scanned the area, but there was seemingly no one there. "Oh, um, up here."

Even though the voice gave her a clue, Lydia still couldn't locate where it came from. "Up where?"

"Here." It was then that she saw the face of Stiles Stilinski poking through the bookshelf in front of her. "Sorry, I scared you."

She raised her eyebrows. "How long have you been watching me?"

"Oh, no long - I swear." He nervously stumbled over his words. "I just came in here and noticed you on the floor. Just came to see if you were all right."

"I am, thanks," Lydia told him. "Do you usually spy on girls in the library?"

He shook his head, speaking with a panicked tone. "Absolutely not! This was just a one-off."

His anxious characteristics made her laugh slightly. For some reason, whenever he was around her, Stiles would just melt. "Do you want to sit down, or should we continue talking through the bookshelves?"

"Um, yeah, sure." Stiles moved from his position, wandering around the other side and slowly approaching her. He slid down the wall, shyly sitting next to her. "So, what brings you to the library on this beautiful day?"

"Just hiding out for a bit. You know until classes start, et cetera." She confessed.

"Yeah, same," said Stiles. "Coach gave us a hard time during lacrosse practice, so I needed a place to cool down. It was either here or the bathroom where the smokers hang. It always smells of weed in there."