seven

"What is wrong with you?"

***

After a long and sleepless night, Lydia returned to school. She was still traumatised; anyone could see that. Everyone stared at her as she strolled through the entrance, but she didn't care to notice. 

She went to her first class and sat down in her seat. Behind her, two girls whispered to each other whilst eyeing her. "I heard Lydia and Jennifer were there, and they had to fight their way out with a machete."

"Look, she's not even moving." Another girl commented as Lydia stared out into nothingness.

"It's called post-traumatic stress disorder. My dad was in operation 'Enduring Freedom', and he totally, like, stopped talking for, like, months." She said.

Confusion and fear were the only words that came to Lydia's mind when she thought back to last night. The smell of burning flesh and that sticky black vomit reappeared every so often, which was a gruesome reminder. Jennifer's sinister grin haunted her throughout the night, the image lingering in her mind. She could only hope that she was all right.

To her surprise, her wish quickly came to fruition. "Where's it at, Di?" 

Lydia jumped a little, her shocked eyes landing on the recognisable face of her best friend smiling back at her. Jennifer was no longer covered in blood, and her smile wasn't creepy in the slightest. But that didn't mean she was back to normal.

"Y-you're all right?" she uttered, staring in amazement.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" Jennifer spoke with a harsh tone.

She sat down beside her, clearly ignoring Lydia's concern. "Because... last night at my house, you were-"

"You do have a tendency to overreact." She interrupted, tossing her dark brown locks over her shoulder. "Do you remember when we were at the local swimming pool when we were little, and you thought that there was a shark? God, that was hilarious."

"Okay, but-"

"And that time when we were at Girl Scout camp?" Jennifer interrupted once again. "You thought that there was an earthquake, but it was just two guys with a ghetto blaster. You were screaming the whole night."

Jennifer chuckled as she removed some pink lipgloss from her pocket. Yet, Lydia wasn't sharing her happiness. "People died, Jennifer. They burned in the fire last night. It's all over the news. Like, national news."

"Anyone we know?" she wondered.

"We know everyone." Lydia pointed out.

She smirked, not even looking at her. "Sucks for them, I guess."

Her mouth hung open, watching as Jennifer applied her lipgloss nonchalantly. "What's wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with you?" Jennifer sharply turned towards her, her carefree grin wiped from her face. "Besides the obvious surface flaws."