[3] THE PRISON.

"I never dreamed the sea so deep, the earth so dark; so long my sleep, I have become another child

"I never dreamed the sea so deep, the earth so dark; so long my sleep, I have become another child. I wake to see the world go wild."

-Allen Ginsberg

Although I was barely conscious, I still had the ability to hear everything going on around me, just like I would if I was awake and there was not a bullet lodged in the right side of my chest. I decided to concentrate on the sound of the wind, and trees swaying with the small breeze, counting when each shot rang out just to keep myself in this state of REM.

My heart rate was accelerating which I needed to get under control otherwise it may not be able to pump blood to the rest of my body which would starve my organs.

For all I knew, the pair could leave me in the forest. They might as well shoot me in the head now because when I open my eyes next they'll be glazed over, skin paled, sharp teeth. I'll be one of them.

Officer Rick Grimes was popping off rounds nearly every thirty seconds I was beyond confused and I had way too many questions running through my brain. If we didn't have people gunning us down right now Rick definitely would have attracted every walker within hearing range.

The shooting finally subsided after what felt like forever when in reality it was probably not even longer than eight minutes tops. My ears were internally grateful but my heart dropped when I did not hear any other sounds around me, no talking, no shuffling of feet, nothing.

Surely there had to be a reason Hawkeye would bring along someone else and track me down to where I was, they wouldn't just leave me here, unable to defend myself?

My death would be on their hands. But it wouldn't surprise me either. People in this world knew one thing. Survival.

There were some pretty cruel people in this world everyone that had made it this far and I knew that but if I could get lucky just once I'd thank them until they got sick of me. Maybe I'd even have a friendly conversation with Robin, or is that taking it too far?

Before I could rant in my head anymore, I felt muscular lean arms pick me up bridal style. His chest felt warm against my skin and I welcomed the sent of pine trees, soil and sweat. Allowing my body to sink and mould into his arms an odd sort of comfort washed over me like a tidal wave, I could not think of a time during or before the outbreak that I have ever once felt protected. But here I am letting my body sink and mound into a strangers touch. Letting my body relax slightly I felt his whole body quickly tense up as I moved, a few grunts were heard here and there; much like the ones I'd heard before. Giving myself time to think, it quickly dawned on me that it is Robin's arms that I'm seeking safety and protection from.