[21] SURVIVAL.

"I look back in regret

"I look back in regret. How I ignored when they said, run as fast as you can."
-Anonymous

"What exactly do Rick and Hershel want us to do?" Michonne asked, standing close to me.

I was in a car, squished against Hook and Michonne, with a terrible headache, something I never imagined. But here we are, and a certain pair was driving up front.

The council held its first 'private' meeting just last night. Sasha mentioned a situation that needed to be addressed outside the gates, and while gathering materials, she spotted a herd of walkers. Getting bigger by the day, the only thing separating them from the prison was "a fence that would give in at any time," as Sashas put it.

Hershel decided to place the problem in my hands after a quick chat. Everything from creating a plan to selecting the best group was done by myself. I had no idea why Hershel chose me of all people. But it gave me the chance to finally get away from socializing with so many people and reintroduce some thrill into my life.

It was always exciting to be outside the gates. It was my chance to let my hair down. So I chose Maggie, Glenn, Michonne, Daryl on his motorcycle, Merle, and myself as people I knew would be up for it. Given everything that had happened, we were a strange group, but I knew that when it came down to life or death, we all had each other's backs. Whatever the circumstances.

"There's a small herd of walkers gathered nearby; if the fence keeping them in gives way, they'll be on their way to the prison." I took a brief pause to allow the news to sink in.

I'd already told Daryl everything, including my foggy plan.

"With the pile up against the fences back at the prison. If these walkers escape, the situation will only become worse."

Everyone physically relaxed when they realized they were dealing with the dead rather than the living. The world everyone knew was one of killing the dead and surviving the living.

"What's the plan?" Maggie wondered out loud, casting a glance over her shoulder.

Plan A was a great approach. Plan B was the one I didn't want to tell them about. "I took an iPod that was lying around, hooked it up to the car, and the music should make enough noise to lead them away." The four individuals in the car were nodding in agreement, finally understanding one of my plans.

"Sasha told me there was a nearby river. They should be carried downstream by the current."

"Gotta give it to ya, it's a good plan sunshine." Merle said next to me. "What's the catch?"