10. The Moon Under Water • black mirror fem taegi

Pink squares dot evenly along the baby blue diner counter. The lights shroud a rosy glow over all the chrome rimmed bar stools. On the glass front door, gold leaf letters gleam against faint streetlight - The Moon Under Water.

A small crowd gathers at the front opening on the inside, all poodle skirts and cardigan sweaters. Trying a little too hard for the theme, Tae winces but keeps walking.

Past the boisterous crowd swaying to the catchy tune drifting out of the speakers, past the few couples chatting at the tables, she keeps walking, eyes locking onto the lone figure seated at the very last booth.

You know I can be found
Sitting home all alone
If you can't come around
At least please telephone
A-don't be cruel to a heart that's true

Her hurried strides slow down suddenly, as the figure's head snaps up. Tae gulps and tugs on her mustard varsity jacket. The sharp brown eyes blink twice, as the glossy pink lips pucker into the tiniest little pout.

Tae curbs the inward snicker and slides into the blue vinyl booth.

"Should've gone to the Quagmire." A grumble.

Tae rolls her eyes, "You say that every time. Then you tell me how gross that place sounds."

"It is. Nasty."

"You've never been there." Tae reaches in to tuck loose strands of Yoonji's shiny black hair behind her ear.

"Exactly." A pale hand comes up to swat her fingers away, but lingers, and lingers, and ends up resting upon her sleeve meekly.

Tae bites her lip and drapes her hand over, feeling the slight shiver underneath, like the uncertain flutter of butterfly wings, "You know, I came because you promised me a dance."

"I'd never." The voice is icy and absolute, but her torso leans in a little closer.

"Maybe when they play some Patsy Cline..." Tae pats on her hand carefully, feeling it settle under her touch.

"Maybe."

What are you afraid of? They are not real, nothing in this fever dream is, besides you and I. Tae guards the thoughts that will never be uttered, as the answer dangles somewhere in the recess of her mind, waiting for the day she find her courage.

A butterfly only lands when it feels safe. But sometimes Tae wonders, if the wings flutter because it forever dreams of flying.

"Hmm?" Yoonji pipes up, as her head dips onto Tae's shoulder.

"Nothing. You know me, silly thoughts."

"They are not silly, not to me." Yoonji's hand moves down to rest next to Tae's pleated skirt on the seat. Her fuzzy brown coat slides off one shoulder as she leans in, and the blush hued dress underneath peeks through. A golden pin cinches at her narrow waist, shining dimly as she moves, daring for Tae to touch it, to pull it off like opening a wrapped gift-

Tae averts her gaze.

They talk, like every Thursday night before this and after, huddled together, away from it all yet deep within the illusion. Words about dreams unrealized, fears that are yet to become real, about abstract snippets of the mind that they could barely explain to themselves, and the sprouting basil seeds on Tae's window sill.

And when the clock by the soda fountain is moments away from striking midnight, Tae holds Yoonji's hand as they walk out of the diner together. Her fingers always feel icy to the touch, is it residual data of how she is in life, or it's all on Tae's mind. She can't be sure, all she knows is the need to hold her closer, to intertwine their fingers tightly in a feeble attempt at passing her own warmth to Yoonji. Because Tae has so much love to give - gosh! - all the toasty softness gushing out every time she spots those sharp brown eyes with a thousand unspoken thoughts.

Just like right now.

They stand outside, the distant streetlamp glowing in her peripheral, and the night air a perfect 71.5 degrees and 45% humidity, for forever. Yoonji reaches in and hides her face in Tae's jacket, but Tae hears her sigh, feels it blending into her own long exhale.

"Hey, it'll be Thursday again soon..." She drapes her arms around Yoonji, as a new song drifts out of the diner, something calm and filled with longing.

If you knew what I been through
You would know why I ask you
Have you ever been lonely
Have you ever been blue

Yoonji looks up towards her, lips curling into a small smile, "At least you get one wish granted out of this night."

Tae giggles beside her ear and tightens the embrace. She shifts her feet and starts to sway to Patsy Cline's gentle voice, and Yoonji follows, reaching up so they are cheek to cheek, hearts thrumming in sync. Tae closes her eyes, willing for the music to cast her mind in a blissful trance, as if time will pause for them, as if they are just two unassuming youths sharing an innocent dance outside the local diner.

The unseen clock strikes midnight.

Tae's eyelids flutter. She stays seated for a long time, face scrunched up, heart heavy. When she finally snaps her eyes open, the bare wall facing her is unbearable white, the hospital bed empty next to her.

And the music is gone.