1. Fools Rush In • taegi

Summary: Taehyung is the designer who makes stunning wedding dresses - always for others, never for himself. One day he meets an intriguing customer.

-

Taehyung adores his job.

He absolutely does. Sometimes he has to pinch himself to make sure it's all real, being a fashion designer that works on suits and dresses for weddings in Manhattan. It didn't come overnight - he started with nothing but a dream, of making bespoke peices, each unique but with classic and subdued glamor. Slowly words travelled by mouth, and he builds a reputation amongst the young and privileged crowd.

Taehyung prefers to work at night, in his little studio upstairs inside an old heritage building. Watching the clamoring nightlife on the street, while listening to classical music and cutting fabrics for weddings after weddings. Always for someone else's best day of life, never his own. Such is life, maybe nobody can have it all, he muses.

And one day a young couple makes an appointment with him for custom made dress and suit, the money-is-no object kind. Victoria is young, beautiful and bubbly, used to a good life, excited about the wedding. Taehyung designs a vintage piece for her with choker neckline and lace and crystals, she is ecstatic, over the moon, hugging him over and over. The groom to be, Yoongi, however, is more somber. What would you prefer, Taehyung asks, trying to decipher his impassive eyes and getting nothing. Anything you think is suitable, he answers and flutter his hand slightly, thoughts far away. Taehyung nods.

They make a few more appointments. One day, Yoongi comes back for a fitting. Taehyung has designed a modern tux for him, but with grey twill and subtle herringbone pattern to fit for the fall wedding. He pins each section carefully as Yoongi stands in front of the mirror silently.

"You lost weight, the measurements are a bit off now," Taehyung comments quietly. Yoongi hums, making a gesture to comment but his hand drops wordlessly.

They work in silence for a while, Taehyung feeling content with how the piece is turning out, imagining how lovely it will look in the fall with colorful leaves surrounding him and the autumn sun casting it in a warm golden sheen. He pipes up finally, voice upbeat, "everything will look so amazing for the wedding, I'm happy for both of you. It will be a perfect day."

"Will it?" Yoongi retorts, the flatness in his tone catches Taehyung by surprise, but he lets it slide, people get nervous, marriage is not a trifle thing, he's seen it before.

The air feels stifled so Taehyung tried to lighten the mood, this time commenting on the fabric instead, "you chose a great fabric, one of my favorites. A little unusual for a tux but I love it."

He feels Yoongi's eyes lingering on him, assessing. His response is nonchalant, "would you have picked it for your own wedding?"

Tae glances at him, feeling a little awkward but inexplicably, he answers cautiously but honestly, "maybe, if I ever find the right person." He pauses, keeping his eyes on the fabric, before continuing, "sometimes I feel like I've poured too much romance into all the wedding pieces I've worked on, and there's so little of it left in my own life."

It's not like him to share something so personal to a customer, so Taehyung laughs it off and hopes Yoongi drops the subject. He moves down to the pant legs, and can still feel the gaze tracking his every move thoughtfully.

Finally he hears Yoong respond quietly, "romance is a nice word when you say it. You make amazing work of art, because you believe in it, you believe in the dream."

The words are casual and polite, but the tone irritates tae, grates on his ears. He frowns and keeps to himself but his hand slips and a pin stabs his finger. Taehyung gasps and draws back, but sees the drop of dark crimson on the fabric.