twenty-two

Awkward silence filled the atmosphere surrounding the gang leader and princess as Sunoo drove them to the nearest mall. Clearly, he hadn't thought through whether or not Yeri was comfortable, seeing all he did was lash out on her.

"I'm sorry," Sunoo started rather bluntly, internally slapping himself again for not being softer.

"Pft, yea right," Yeri rolled her eyes as she looked out the window.

Frankly, she knew Sunoo was apologetic yet her stubbornness prevailed and she certainly was not forgiving. Thinking carefully on his next words, Sunoo gripped the stirring wheel anxiously as he glanced at Yeri again.

"Let's bet on something today," Sunoo suggested as he made a turn up to the mall's parking lot.

"On my life? Sounds fine to me," Yeri retorted sarcastically as she diverted her gaze back to Sunoo.

"On us, princess," Sunoo sighed in annoyance before finally parking his car. Turning the engine off, the blonde-haired boy looked at Yeri with a cocky look.

"If you accept my friendship today, I promise I'll protect you till the very end—especially from Papa," Sunoo said as he reached over Yeri to unbuckle her seat-belt.

"And if I don't accept your friendship?" Yeri raised a brow as crossed her arms sassily.

Nibbling on his bottom lip, Sunoo dreaded the next few words he had to say. It was a risk worth taking if he was genuine towards the princess. For all he knew, she hated his guts.

"Then I'll bring you back to the palace,"

TIMES SQUARE MALL, SEOUL

Trailing behind Sunoo, Yeri couldn't help but gawk at her surroundings. Due to the fact she was a pure-blooded Royal, she had never stepped foot into a shopping mall in her life. This of course, slowed her pace as Sunoo walked ahead of her.

Although her mask covered the bottom half of her face, Yeri's eyes twinkled in amusement as she spun around continuously. Realising Yeri wasn't by his side, Sunoo looked back only to find the shorter girl spinning openly. Smiling behind his mask, Sunoo briskly walked towards her before halting her spinning ordeal.

"Don't forget you're still a wanted princess. Papa's minions are everywhere. You'll end up dying before you're crowned Queen," Sunoo sighed as he fixed Yeri's cap and mask.

"The mall is huge Sunoo! There's so many food places to try and stores to shop in," Yeri beamed, unable to contain her excitement as she looked everywhere but at Sunoo.

"We have time darling, don't worry. Just stay close please," Sunoo chuckled as he intertwined their hands firmly together.

Nodding quickly, Yeri followed Sunoo's pace despite ogling her surroundings. Unfortunately, Sunoo was unable to contain his smile as he observed the excited princess. Realisation hitting him that Yeri wasn't able to enjoy the modernity of her "perfect" life.

Sunoo briefly remembered what royalty felt like with it being that he stayed within palace grounds all day. He remembered what it felt like to finally be free, to walk by the typical Han River freely.

It was the only day he experienced brief freedom at the age of 7—the same day he fell into Papa's hands.

"What's Converse?" Yeri asked curiously as she pointed towards the shop.

"A shoe shop. Do you want to buy shoes?" Sunoo asked as he gestured towards his own pair of black Converse shoes.

Looking at his shoes in awe compared to the large pair of slides belonging to Ni-ki, Yeri bashfully nodded her head as she played with the hem of Sunoo's hoodie. However, she shook her head again after realising she didn't have any money. Being cautious , she didn't want to spend Sunoo's money as well.

"Let's just get my necessities. I want to go back quickly," Yeri sighed as she pulled Sunoo away from the said shoe shop.

Following the sullen princess, Sunoo glanced back at the shop before stopping in his tracks. Pulling Yeri back, Sunoo crouched down slightly before flicking her forehead.

"Ow- what was that for?!" Yeri whined as she glared at Sunoo.

Giggling at her feisty reaction, Sunoo put up Yeri's hood up before dragging her to the beloved store she was eyeing. Needless to say, Yeri followed the taller boy in defeat  after being unable to fight against his tight grasp. Facing his darling, Sunoo pulled down his mask slightly to reveal his smile, catching Yeri off-guard as she felt her heart flutter.

"Just for today, get as much things as you want and devour all the food you desire. I have more than enough  money to spare," Sunoo spoke as kindly as he could, wishing his soft side would remain concealed.

But with Yeri, he unknowingly laid out his feelings before her. From his initial cold persona, she was the much needed light that kept him warm. However it may seem absurd to many in terms of Sunoo and Yeri's relationship, there's no denying that Sunoo had changed over the week she was stuck with him.

"I promise I'll pay you back!" Yeri jumped around excitedly as she flailed Sunoo's arm around.

"You always say that darling, but whatever works for you," Sunoo snorted as he allowed Yeri to drag him around the store.

Although Yeri was distracted by the sights around her, it didn't change the fact that she felt a certain way as Sunoo held her hand. Jungwon always told her that the way someone holds your hand determines how they feel about you.

At first, Yeri thought it was absurd. Feelings? Just from the simplest form of skin ship? Yet she felt it that day. The way their hands fit perfectly, the way he pulled her back whenever she was straying far. How his thumb rubbed against hers softly as he watched their surroundings carefully.

In that moment, she only felt safe; happy even.