thirty-nine

[ would recommend everyone to read from Chapter Thirty-Six again since I finally updated after a month :( ]

+

APOCALYPSE GROUNDS

9 years ago

+

"Why are you crying Hoonie?" Sunoo, aged 9, approached his older friend who was sobbing quietly to himself.

Placing a hand on 10 year old Sunghoon's shoulder, the older boy only glared at Sunoo before swatting his hand away.

"Touch me again and I'll gut you Kim Sunoo," Sunghoon uttered in a low tone.

Surprisingly enough for a 9 year old boy, Kim Sunoo only giggled at Sunghoon's response before sitting beside him on the steps leading up the the mansion.

"I know you don't mean that. I don't understand why you hate me so much, but your heart is too pure to hurt someone like me!" Sunoo beamed happily before throwing his arms around Sunghoon."

"Get off me you pest-"

"I know Papa gives you greater punishment than everyone else, Hoonie," Sunoo mumbled sadly with his chin rested on Sunghoon's shoulder.

"He did it for my sake-"

"We're literally children Sunghoon! He's raising us to be bad guys," Sunoo exclaimed as he patted Sunghoon's tears with his sleeve.

In that moment, Sunghoon felt loved. For a while, his resentment towards Sunoo faded as the younger boy continued to rant about Papa. Although he should be pushing Sunoo away, the smiley-eyed boy was the only person to ever embrace him after the hellish life he was forced into.

"I'll always protect you from the world, Hoonie! Call out my name and I'll be there,"

+

Present Day

"S-Sunghoon... No please, p-please wake up!" Sunoo uttered in distress as he shouldered Sunghoon's dead weight in his arms.

Falling onto his knees, Sunoo's cried out strained tears as his trembling hands held Sunghoon close to him. Despite the pain Sunoo was feeling, Sunghoon's still eyes held happiness; the poor boy was finally free from his father's shackles.

It was almost as if his death was a long-awaited blessing; Sunghoon wanted an end to his pain and it happened.

"S-Say hi to Mom for me when you're up there okay? You're happier in Heaven rather than down here in Hell," Sunoo uttered painfully as he placed a soft kiss on Sunghoon's forehead.

Expecting to see Sunghoon's father behind the gun, it was instead a young Prince. With his sharp eyes glaring furiously at the Prince, Sunoo whipped out his dagger from his blazer.

Gently laying his brother down, Sunoo's head snapped towards the young Prince before aiming his dagger at his chest. Successfully enough, the dagger dug deep into the Prince's chest.

"The fucking audacity you mere Royals have to murder. Why'd you kill him? Did you want my crown? Then you should've killed me instead you shithead," Sunoo chuckled dryly as he slowly approached the groaning Prince.