thirty-six

D-DAY: KING'S CORONATION

"Seriously?! A feathered mask? Am I a bird or something?!"

"Specifically, you're an Ostrich, Jungwon," Heeseung snickered mischievously as he secured his gun in his belt.

"A cute Ostrich!" Jay added on before laughing together with Heeseung.

"I hate you both," Jungwon huffed out in annoyance, though Heeseung only chuckled at the former Prince.

"Wonie! Help me with my dress please!" Yeri shouted from Ni-ki's room as she struggled with the heavy layers of her dress.

However, her twin brother was rather busy bickering with Jay and Heeseung, who were endlessly teasing Jungwon's mask to suit the theme of the Coronation.

"Unbelievable!" Yeri exclaimed to herself in disbelief in response to Jungwon's aloofness.

What was meant to be a simple midi dress, was now a grand ball gown with layers of white tulle. Although Yeri felt pretty in her gown, she was much more annoyed at the fact it was limiting her movements.

"Why the hell did Jay pick this dress?!" Yeri grumbled as she struggled to lift up the skirt of her gown. The last thing Yeri needed was to trip on her dress and fall.

"Because I'm not letting you fight tonight," 

Diverting her attention to the voice she hadn't heard in a while, Yeri narrowed her eyes at Sunoo whose new appearance surprised her. Instead of his striking blonde hair, his hair was dyed back to its usual shade of raven black.

"You can't tell me what to do. I'm protecting Jungwon and Jay whether you like it or not. Now excuse me while I try to move in this ridiculous gown," Yeri firmly said before finally finding her footing.

Bumping past Sunoo's shoulder, Yeri didn't know whether to feel butterflies or discord with him. She had to admit, he looked absolutely dashing in his outfit and God, don't even get Yeri started on his hair.

It only brought a smile to her face upon remembering the time she told Sunoo she preferred his black raven hair to his blonde hair. Catching herself smiling like a fool, Yeri mentally slapped herself before groaning in frustration.

You're not supposed to be thinking of Sunoo, you idiot. You're nothing but a distraction to him.

Yeri only hoped that Sunoo was truly asleep the previous night— the night when she finally told him that she, Yang Yeri, reciprocated the same love for Kim Sunoo.

"Yeri-"

"Alright, gather around you annoying bunch!" Jay's voice boomed throughout the apartment. Narrowing his eyes at Jay, Sunoo approached his group with a heavy heart.

You're lucky Yeri loves you Park Jongseong.

"I just got off the phone with Ni-ki and Sunhee. The Guards will still be checking our identities, so that means we'll still have to take off our masks briefly," Heeseung started off.

"The Guards won't recognise Heeseung and I at the main entrance, which means that the three of you will have to enter through the back," Sunoo continued before crossing his arms.

"Through the kitchen? That means Yeri won't be able to follow us because of her hassle of a ball gown," Jungwon pointed out with a raised brow.

Glancing briefly at Yeri, who had an equally puzzled expression, Sunoo only shrugged his shoulders before throwing on his white coatee.

"Then she'll stay here," Sunoo carelessly responded only for Yeri to finally explode with anger.

"What the fuck Kim Sunoo?! Am I really that big of a bother to you? I clearly told you I'll stay out of your way and that I'm only coming to protect Jay and Jungwon! You gave me this stupid gown on purpose!" Yeri vented angrily as she stomped up towards Sunoo.

Side-eyeing each other, Heeseung, Jay and Jungwon took that moment as their cue to leave.

"We'll wait in the car! I'm pretty sure everyone knows the decided plan today," Heeseung chuckled awkwardly as he slipped out of the apartment door.

"I'm doing this to protect you," Sunoo stated bluntly with not even the slightest bit of remorse.

"What does that even mean? One second I'm a distraction and the next, you're doing this to protect me?" Yeri raised her voice.

"You wouldn't understand," Sunoo uttered.

Sighing deeply in frustration, Yeri could only feel her eyes begins to water. Not only because she was angry, but because everything Sunoo says or does confused her.

"Please stop screwing around with my feelings Sunoo," Yeri said in a shaky voice while desperately trying to hold in her tears.

Before Yeri could even process her own emotions, Sunoo wrapped his arms around Yeri's waist before pulling her towards him. With his face in close proximity, Sunoo's eyes expressed what Yeri was holding in.

"Sunoo-"

In that interrupted moment, Sunoo leaned in swiftly before connecting his lips with Yeri's. For a second there, Yeri could feel his heart beat out of his chest.

She felt his longing through such a sudden kiss; the only honest way Sunoo could prove how he desperately needed Yeri in his life and how he was incredibly apologetic for how he treated her.

A kiss to Kim Sunoo meant that he was willing to love, it meant that he trusted himself with whoever shared that blissful and sweet moment with him.

Pulling away briefly, Sunoo cupped Yeri's face gently before allowing his tears to roll down his cheeks. His usual sharp gaze was now glossy with streaming tears as he looked into Yeri's eyes.

"I love you, Yang Yeri. There I said it, and you have absolutely no idea how much I do," Sunoo said softly as he sniffled.

"You mentioned something similar once yet blamed me the next day. I don't understand-"

"I didn't mean any of it, I was just overwhelmed okay? That day, I wondered whether or not I'd live peacefully if I lost you too," Sunoo cut her off again.

Hesitantly wrapping her arms around his torso, Yeri raised a brow at the boy she loved.

"And? Would you?" Yeri questioned in a sassy tone. Chuckling at Yeri's snarky attitude, Sunoo placed a kiss on her cheek before pressing their foreheads together.

"It's not living if it's not with you darling,"

Satisfied with his genuine response, Yeri tightly embraced Sunoo in her arms. Glancing up at his pleasantly plump and kissable lips, Yeri placed a small kiss on the corner of his smile.

"I love you Kim Sunoo, and you have absolutely no idea how much I do,"

A/N:
currently weeping while writing the next chapter