thirty

???

"We lost the kid,"

"I'm sorry what?"

"Ni-ki took the car and it's very clear where he set his destination to," Heeseung groaned in frustration as he pranced anxiously around the apartment.

Pushing past Sunoo, Heeseung grabbed his bag and car keys before tucking his gun in the waistband of his pants. His soft doe-eyes now replaced with determination to protect Ni-ki from whatever danger he put himself in.

"Heeseung, you need to calm down-"

"We can't wait a fucking week to stop Sunghoon! We can't leave Ni-ki alone like before— everything has changed Sun! We only have each other now," Heeseung vented angrily before burying his face in his hands.

His heavy breathing now replaced by his stifled sobs as he dropped everything he was holding. What was unexpected however, was the fact that Jungwon and Jay approached the sobbing boy. Jungwon, who wiped away Heeseung's tears while Jay gathered Heeseung's disorganised belongings.

"I know we're strangers and only just met, but I hope you and Sunoo know that you have us too," Jungwon comforted softly, smiling reassuringly at both Heeseung and Sunoo.

"If Yeri considers you guys as her new family, then we'll consider you the same," Jay smiled before beaming proudly at Yeri.

Scanning the room and the people around him, Sunoo exhaled a sharp breath before clenching his fists tightly. As usual, all eyes were on him for his approval on a rare occasion.

Both sides had experienced hurt and trauma in their childhood and currently during their adolescence. Both sides united by an unlikely duo who made their respective negatives, positive

While a million thoughts about what can possibly go wrong that day, Yeri slipped her hand into Sunoo's. Her eyes gazing into his troubled, which ultimately reassured him.

"Heeseung and Jay can go. I'm sorry to seem weak, but I can't face my brother- I mean, Sunghoon, right now," Sunoo started.

While everyone around him cheered at his approval, Sunoo felt anxious and wary. Not that he showed it, but his trembling hands was enough for Yeri to know.

"Before you lot get excited, Heeseung and Jay's mission will be to bring back Ni-ki. Nothing else. We're sticking to our plan for the King's coronation, got that?" Yeri yelled sternly with narrowed eyes shot at her friends.

Looking at Sunoo, Yeri winked at him cheekily before her expression dropped once again. She too, was terrified of what might happen to her loved ones. Now that Sunghoon was close to being crowned King, it meant that she would be his Queen.

Regardless of her presence or not. From what she knew from when her Mother was alive and was Queen, her father made many horrible decisions. Not towards the country, but more likely in his personal life.

The reason of her passing? Poisoned wine after finding out about her husband's wrongdoings.

Both Jungwon and Yeri were aware of his doings since young; both who silently resented their father in their growing years.

"Yes Yeri, we understand," Heeseung smiled gratefully before packing what was needed for him and Jay.

Facing Yeri, Sunoo's resting sharp features changed the moment he smiled. His cheeks rounded enough while his eyes turned to his rare crescents.

"Thanks for backing me up, Your Highness," Sunoo bowed teasingly, causing Yeri to scoff in response.

"Your duality gives me butterflies, you know that? Stop playing around, you have to train Jungwon and I into using guns," Yeri stuck her tongue out playfully before dragging Sunoo behind her.

Groaning from behind, Jungwon looked at Heeseung and Jay before dramatically sighing. "What's worse? Risking your life to save Ni-ki or being a third-wheel to Sunoo and Yeri?"

With both older boys contemplating silently, Heeseung and Jay looked at each mischievously before laughing at Jungwon.

"Have fun Jungwon!" Heeseung chortled in laughter as he exited the apartment. "We'd very much rather this than the lovebirds!" Jay added on before ruffling Jungwon's hair.

"You guys suck," Jungwon snarled as he watched Heeseung and Jay leave with boisterous laughters.

Though he held a straightforward and sassy persona, Jungwon smiled and breathed a little better that day. That perhaps this life was for him and for Yeri.