𝗙𝗶𝘃𝗲

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

The mind forgets but the heart will
always remember

—Tan Twan Eng

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Third Person's POV

Tomorrow came later than they expected and each time an hour passed, they looked at the clock and thought when's gonna come tomorrow and I'll see her/him?

Both of them told themselves that the reason why they wanted to see each other was just because she wanted to return his coat and he wanted his coat back. Simple. Nothing more nothing less.

But of course, that wasn't the only reason. The coat was just an excuse--an excuse too see each other again, an excuse to have the familiar feeling again and an excuse to feel the intimate warmth that they felt while talking with each other that night.

It was midnight—the snow hadn't stopped yet and both of them were looking at the ceiling of their rooms—both of them equally impatient and excited and thinking about each other.

Elain couldn't stop thinking about the warmth that engulfed her once his coat was placed on her. It was like as if she never felt cold in the first place. It was warm— always.

She rolled on her bed until she was on the edge and after rolling for the last time she fell on the ground with a loud thud. "Ow," she cried, massaging her waist and crawling to the bed while grimacing and muttering some colorful words.

On the other hand, Elias was talking to his pet cat, pretending that she was getting everything he was saying and was understanding him better than anyone. He let out a long sigh after he talked about the whole encounter with Elain. He wanted to share--it didn't matter to him that it was his cat who was listening. As long as he was speaking his heart out, that all mattered. "She's weird, ain't she?" he asked nobody.

"I mean, prioritizing money over herself? That's absolutely absurd!" he let out an exasperated sigh as he continued speaking with particularly no one.

"What's the point of having money when you don't even have a healthy body to spend it, right Cara?" he looked at his cat who was clearly unbothered by everything he was saying and was just eating her cat food. Despite the cat not giving any attention to him, he still took a yes as an answer from her.

He chuckled seeing his cat and thinking how she listened to him all the time and patted her head gently, earning purrs. "You're the only friend I've got," he mumbled softly while smiling.

"Is it lonely without Coco? Do you miss her?" he asked. "Yeah, I do, too." He smiled again, taking his cat on his lap and reminiscing about Coco and just like that, remembering her, they both fell into deep slumber.

When the day they were finally meeting each other again arrived, Elain and Elias, both woke up faster than usual and were practically doing everything in a rush even though they'd see each other in six hours.

Elain had put on the wrong shoes, wore different colored socks, wore her coat upside down and her hair was still in a mess. "Ugh!" she groaned loudly and realized how everything she was doing was so unnecessary, how it wasn't like her, how being this much eager to meet a stranger wasn't like her.