Bolt

The weight from my chest is immediately gone when I tell my Juliet the truth, the whole truth and not just part of what I can say to her.

But then she says she needs to talk to me as well, and my heart collapses into my feet. I realised that she would have something to say after what I had said, of course I did, but at the same time a part of me hoped I could just hold her and leave it at that.

"Ok doll, sure. That's only fair."

"You don't need to look so worried baby, come and sit on the sofa with me."

She holds out her hand for me and I eagerly take it, I'm gently tugged through into the sitting room. I collapse onto the sofa, Juliet flops down so close to me I almost cry out in surprise. She quickly snuggles under my arm and rests her head on my chest.

The action feels so familiar and loving that emotion almost clogs in my throat. Her fingers begin to trace invisible patterns over my left pec.

"I'm really pleased you talked to me, Bolt, thank you."

I can feel her smile against my body and I smile sheepishly as well even though she cannot see me. I'm pleased that she's grateful for my honesty, but I really need her to keep fucking talking about what she wants to say. My anxieties are sky rocketing.

"I love you Bolt..."

I swallow hard, there's a but, there's always going to be a but...

"But if I'm being honest with you now too, I don't like who you are at the club, well more accurately I don't like what it does to you."

My whole body tenses, my muscles straining ready to fight or flee.

Taking a deep, but subtle, breath, I try to calm my racing heart. Juliet had to listen to all my fucking craziness, the least I can do is listen to her reasoning. And... if I'm being completely honest, after spending so much time with Juliet, I almost didn't want to go back to the club.

"Do you understand what I mean baby?" She hums softly, the tension begins to ebb away from my chest.

"I-I think so. I feel different, better when I'm with you."

Juliet sits up quickly, smiling over at me.

"Really?" Her voice sounds relieved, I realise in a second that she must have been terrified to say that to me, it could have caused me to run a mile in anger.

"Yeah... I mean... I don't know what I'm saying completely, but I like my life more when I'm with you. At the club... in the bar surrounded by all the noises of women and alcohol it sometimes feel like I'm back trapped with my father."

Juliet whimpers and presses herself onto my lap, I pull her even closer until her head is tucked under my chin and she feels safe in my arms.

"We can stop at any point you know Bolt. You just say the word and we'll leave it."

"I'm ok to keep talking, it's better with you here, everything is better with you here and I'm even stronger with you in my arms."

Juliet pauses for a second, her breathing slows calmly and my heartbeat begins to sink in with hers.

"Did you know, my father was a member of the Viking Warriors before you came here?"

I sit up in surprise, I definitely did not know that. No one mentioned him and there were no photos of him in the bar, mind you I didn't exactly get a good look at him so maybe there are and I've never noticed.

"But he lived here with you and your mum?"

"Yes," she nods proudly, "as it turns out you don't exactly have to live in the compound once you're no longer a prospect."