Chapter 6

Sunday 10th May 2020

11 pm Dinaya Lane Gated Community 

Anirudh frowned as he saw the caller id blaring on his screen. He sighed and picked up his phone, eyes widening as he heard what the caller has to say. Anirudh rubbed his forehead as he kept the phone down. He swallowed his saliva and walked towards the room.

Anirudh knocked on the door and opened it, peering slightly. Manjira was sleeping on the sofa while Sailaja slumped on the floor in a sitting position. Anirudh exhaled his breath, clearing his throat. Sailaja jerked, letting out a sharp shout as she scrambled against the bed, her eyes widening in fright.

"It's me..." Anirudh said, walking inside. He rubbed his forehead as he squats down against Sailaja, swallowing his saliva.

"Your brother...his..." Anirudh trailed off, making Sailaja clutch his shirt pulling him towards her as she peered into his eyes. Her orbs were welling with tears threatening to fall.

Anirudh sighed and averted his head. " He is the ICU, someone hurt him..." he said in a quiet tone, wincing as Sailaja wailed, shouting out a disbelieved No. Anirudh exhaled his breath and wrapped his arms around her as she continued to wail, drenching his shirt with her tears.

"Amma?" Manjira called out in a sleepy tone, rubbing her eyes slightly as she got up from her sleeping position to the sitting position.

Sailaja quickly pushes Anirudh away and stood up shakily.

"Amma is fine. You close your eyes and sleep," she said, smiling wobbly.

Anirudh cleared his throat and gave a soft smile to the little girl.

"The sofa must be so uncomfortable, come let's get you to a proper and nice bed," he said.

Manjira bit her lips and looked at Sailaja, who nods her head, raising her hands towards the girl who ran and hugged her waist. Anirudh sighed and walked out of the door with the girls following behind him.

"This is my room. The both of you can stay here tonight," Anirudh said, rubbing his neck.

Manjira looked at Sailaja, who nodded her head and gestured the girl to go inside. Anirudh leaned against the door, watching Sailaja covering Manjira's body with his duvet before walking out of the room.

"Explain!" she said, staring at him, crossing her hands over her chest.

Sunday 10th May 2020

11.30 pm Chillam General Hospital

Shubhangi peered over his shoulders, biting her lips worriedly. AK groaned and rubbed his head.

"Careful, you 're hurt!" the girl said as he clenched his fist, trying to stand up.

AK groaned and shook his head. " What happened?" he asked.