Prologue

"Daniel, WATCH OUT! Jazmin, you cover that side while I get rid of that imp!"

She raised her fan and waved it harshly at the imp that had her friend's face on it, cutting it in half with a wave of air. The Dark Lord was now irate. When she turned to check on her teammates, he raised his hand over her head, and then...

Oh! I didn't notice you there, young one! You must be very confused right now. I am the Guardian Spirit of the isle of Miitopia. It is a pleasure to meet you!

Now then, let's start from the beginning. Long ago, on this very island, was a young girl named Serena. She was your average Mii, at least, until the Dark Lord appeared one faithful spring day. She is known as a hero on this island. Come, my child, and listen to her story. The story of the Heroine of Miitopia (And the heroes who helped along the way, of course). Sit down and grab some popcorn, child. You're in for a wild ride.

-----------

"It seems that young Serena is being chased by a horrible fiend!"

"WAAAAAAH! IS THAT A BUTTERFLY WITH EYES ON IT? GAH! THERE'S MORE!" I shriek. I frantically run as fast as I can, trying to get away from whatever the heck I just saw. The monsters behind me shriek, flying after me. Their bright-pink wings flap swiftly. "GYAAAAAAAAAA!" I scream again. Ahead, I can see a village of some sort. I better get there quick, I think to myself.

When I make it there, I breathe a sigh of relief. What the Karkaton was that?!?

I look around the village, seeing a bunch of people standing around. Walking in, I get greeted by a guide of some sort, who looked at me quizzically. "Huh?- What's up with you?" He asks.

"I- I saw a butterfly with eyes on it! A-and it was chasing me!" I squeaked, "I know it sounds ridiculous but I really did!"

"Monsters with people's faces? Gyahaha!" He chuckled, "You must be kidding me!"

"No- I swear! I did!" I say, "There are dangerous monsters out there!"

He shakes his head. "Greenhorne's a peaceful place, a place to leave all your woes behind."

I shake my head and walk away, frustrated. Soon after, I see a granny at a produce stand. "Oh, joyous day! Isn't the weather just be-YEW-tiful?" I hear her mumble to herself, "Oh! An adventurer!" She notices my worried expression. "Why the long face? You can't go around looking like that! Come on, give us a smile! You know you want to. A smile brings happiness!" I listen to her and give her a grin, but I can't shake the bad feeling. Something about those butterflies wasn't normal, and it's troubling me. I shake it off and walk away.

As I'm walking, a child bumps into me. "Wheeeee! Woo-hoooo! I'm a dragon!" He exclaims, hopping around joyously. Behind him is his concerned mother. "Stop it, Emil! Calm down, or you'll hurt yourself!" She pleaded with the boy, "This child has me at my wits' end..."

She turned and noticed me. "Oh! An adventurer. Please excuse me. My child has so much energy, It's hard for me to keep up." I smiled and gave her a knowing look.

"I'm sure you're doing a great job, ma'am!" I beamed, "My name's Serena. Pleased to make your acquaintance!"

"My my, what a polite child! It's nice to meet you too, dear. Oh stars, EMIL! Stop that!" She scolded as she reached for her son's arm, "Serena, child, I believe I should go now."

"Bye, ma'am!" I wave, and I continue walking. Eventually, I see a couple doting over each other by the side of the lane.

"D'awww," The man said, holding his hands with his face. The woman giggled. "You're so cute, Patricia!" He dotes.

"No, you're cute, Carl!" She responds.

"I feel like I'm dreaming..." He blushes, holding one of her hands.

"Shall I pinch you? Tee hee hee!" She giggles, doing so regardless.

...They are so cheesy. Eugh, too lovey-dovey for me, I'm about to hurl... I thought, and I walked away from them faster.

Along the way, I see a guy standing in the street. "What?" He stops me, "We don't see your type often."

"..Type?-" I ask, baffled by what that means.

"You here visiting or something?" He inquires, ignoring my question.

"...Yes, I'm here on vaca-"

"Huh, some kind of relaxation vacation, is it? Must be so nice for you. I'm sooo jealous..." He says sarcastically, giving me a snarky look.

This guy is a total prick! I think. I roll my eyes and walk away. Soon after, I spot a short man standing stiffly near the end of the village road. The mayor, I presume.

"Welcome, adventurer. I'm the mayor of this town." He greets me, almost robotically. Yep, I was right about him being mayor. "I take it you've spoken to all of our townsfolk?"

"Yes sir, I have."

"Greenhorne's a nice town. But I'm the mayor, so I kinda have to say that." Well, that's quite honest...

"Huh?" He stops and looks at the sky. Confused, I take a glance upwards. The sky turns dark grey.

"Hey, what's that?"

"What? Where? Oh!"

"What is it, Mommy?"

"Oh! Goodness!" The townsfolk mumble amongst themselves. A dark silhouette appears in the clouds.

"Oh no, it's!-" The mayor shrieks, and then... A robed figure emerges.

"Mwaa ha ha haa!" It laughed. "I am the Dark Lord, Steve! I've come to wreak havoc and terror on this miserable little world, and I'm starting with you, people of Greenhorne! It's time for your first taste of true fear. Say goodbye to your faces!" He monologues, and with a wave of his hand, he rips the faces off of some of the townsfolk. People scream, and the faceless bodies of the Miis shiver in fear.

"My little Emil!" The mother shrieks, dropping to her knees.

"T-their faces!" The mayor squeaked, cowering in fear.

"Hmph. Well, I think this should do nicely... for now." The Dark Lord muttered. "Now listen here, you faceless freaks! I hope you like a life of wordless terror because that's all you've got now! And to those of you left behind, take a nice, long look at your poor little friends. AND DESPAIR! Buh-bye!" And with one last wicked laugh, he disappeared, along with the faces.

...Maybe Greenhorne isn't such a peaceful place after all.

I'm starting to regret this trip to Miitopia. This isn't the kind of adventure I was expecting...

A/N

Welp, here we go again. Hopefully, I won't stop writing this story halfway or get uninspired, lol.

Well then, stay tuned! I have chapter one in the works right now. Expect it to be published soon.

-Orsterrant, signing out.