Chapter 6

*New Orleans July 18, 1915*

"Good night everyone, stay safe, stay healthy." Dan says into the microphone. I too say my goodbyes to the listener and turn off my mic.

"I best be getting home now Dan. I wouldn't want my brother to be home alone this late at night with the murders about." I say, 'Not that I'd ever hurt Alastor.' I think to myself.

"Stay safe out there kid." Dan ruffles my hair and waves goodbye as I step out into the night air.

I slip through the dark back alleys taking the quickest path home. I duck down the dirt path home and begin walking the well worn path. My mind is so preoccupied that I hardly see the dear in front of me until I run into it.

I jump back startled and the doe looks at me with wonder. Not in the mood for a touch of wildlife at the moment I raise my hands to try and shoot the deer away. "Shoo! Go away." I say.

The doe doesn't move.

I sigh and step around it. But the deer steps in my way.

"What?" I step in the other direction and the deer mimics it.

"I need to get home." I say and once again try to step around the deer.

She doesn't move. I pull the knife from my pocket. "I will carve out your heart if you don't let me pass." I threaten.

The deer slowly blinks before looking back at the house. I follow its gaze to see the door open like that night.

My stomach sinks. "Al!"

I don't even notice the deer is gone now, if it was even there in the first place, as I drop my knife and sprint to the house. My feet pound on the dirt and my mind flashes with memories.

I practically leap up the stairs and throw open the door more, so it slams against the wall.

"Al! Alastor!" I shout. The rugs are soaked with blood. There's more blood on the walls as I get closer to the kitchen. "Al!" I step around the counter to see my father a bloody mess with his throat cut and many stab wounds to the face and chest.

My eyes land on a gaping hole in his chest where it looks like his heart was cut clean out. Said heart is sitting on the floor a few feet away. The cut on my father's throat is so deep I can see his spine. It also appears there's a smile cut into his cheeks. Whoever did this wanted him to suffer.

"Al?" I call out a little softer.

I hear sniffling and turn to see Al standing behind me with a bloody knife; the same knife mother was killed with. Blood soaks his arms and chest. Tears drip down his cheeks and yet his eyes shine with craze.

"Alastor, what did you do?" I ask and reach my hand out to him.

Al looks down and sniffles again before running over to me and hugging me tight.

"Oh Al." I sigh.

I choke on my next words as blood fills my mouth. I feel the sting a second later. My hand flies up to my throat where blood spills. I try to take a breath but only blood gets in my lungs. I look wide eyed at Al before I hit the floor.

Alastor's eyes widen as he realises what he's done. The knife clatters to the floor.

"I'm sorry." He cries. "I'm so sorry."

My hand falls away from my neck and Alastor clasps it in his own as my vision begins to darken rapidly.

'No, I can't leave him. I---- can't..............Al--astor'

)*(
Date-6/4/21
Words- 626

Hope y'all enjoyed!