Chapter 10

*New Orleans July 17, 1916*

The air blows lightly through my fur as I quietly follow Al through the woods. I stay far enough back that he won't be able to easily see me or hear me.

I follow him down a dirt path looking well warn. It takes me just a second before I recognize where we're going, the tree of mother's unofficial grave. We arrive and the tree looks like it hardly changed. Upon closer inspection I noticed a second picture under the tree. I step closer to get a better look and my heart drops.

It's a picture of me.

Al places his hands on the dirt under the tree. I notice his back heaving with shaky breathes. His hands clench the dirt under his palm as he cries.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, (y/n). You're gone and it's all my fault."

I watched him until his cries softened. Tears of my own dripping down my cheeks. I wish I could comfort him in some way, but the imps were right, he can't see me at all. Who knows how much that would fuck him up.

I look away as a tear slips down my cheek.

My gaze catches a glint coming from a shed out back. I quietly walk towards it, curiosity drawing me in. As I get closer a smell hits my nose. A smell I know well.

Death.

I nudge the door open just enough to see the blood everywhere. My eyes land on the stranger laying in a puddle of their own blood. My eyes widen.

Al did this?

I almost can't believe it. But at the same time I can. I turned to this why wouldn't he?

Maybe if I was paying better attention I would have noticed my hiding spot wasn't very hidden. Maybe if my thoughts weren't on all different things I would have heard.

But no...

I don't see him until he's right there.

I jump slightly when I come face to face with Al. His face has tear tracks running down his cheeks as he slowly steps closer. I take a timid step closer as well. There's no possible way he could recognize me like this so maybe I can have just this one moment.

My ear twitches as I hear a twig snap a few feet away. I turn my head to see the imps hidden behind some trees watching. I let out a snort of frustration before looking back at Al one last time. I turn and leap through the woods picking up the imps on the way.

They open the portal once we're out of sight and I jump through, landing safely on the tile floor of their office.

I shift back and stand, subtly wiping my tear. I turn back to the imps with a stone face. "I believe I owe you payment." I say and take out a big stack of cash and handing it to Blitzo without bothering to count it.

~

As the years past I would continue venturing to earth with the help of the imps. I always paid handsomely and Blitzo never complained.

I hug the coat tightly around my figure. Being in my human form is risky but I'm too lazy to change my form. I trail loosely after Al as he stalks on of his prey. I can't help but feel a bit of joy rise in my heart watching him work.

I believe the best part about it is the fact that he turns around and reports it on his very own radio show. Ha! I love it!

I stop as Al slows and gets closer to his target. I watch interested as he takes the man down with one swift cut to the throat. Blood shoots out like a busted pop can and paints the street in a beautiful scarlet color. Al continues hacking and cutting away at the body while I watch silently from the shadows. (I always feel like somebody's watching meeeee~ sorry someone had to)

I head swivels in the direction of footsteps but Alastor doesn't seem to notice. I roll my eyes and sigh softly, but I can't let him get caught. I quietly slip down the alley and approach the woman walking. Before she can get close enough to see Al I shove my hand through her chest.

Her eyes go wide as she exhaled in pain before dullness takes over her gaze. I remove my arm and let her fall to the ground. I look at my hand before licking some of the blood.

A new strange desire corses through my body as the blood hits my tongue. A want, no need, to kill more mortals.

I snap back to reality as I realize what I've done and all the shit I could get in with Lucifer back in hell. I quickly call the imps telling them I want to come back. Seconds later a portal appears in front of me and I step through.

They smile at me before their faces turn to shock at my blood soaked arm.

"What did you do?" The white haired imp Moxie shouts.

I say nothing as I drop a stack of bills on the nearby desk and exit the room, blood dripping from my finger tips leaving a dotted trail out the door.

Alastor's POV a few days later

I smile to myself as I sit in front of my radio set. I grab the paper the paperboy handed me and flip open to what I like to think of as my page.

I hum a happy tune as I read over the details of my murder a few nights ago. My humming stop and smile falters as I read about a second murder feet from mine.

I don't recall killing two people that night, especially in the way described in the paper.

'Her rib cage was shattered on impact, a blunt object seemingly punched through her with the force of a small train. The victim most likely died within seconds unable to call out for help.'

A small train? Who or what could have killed this woman?

And how did I not hear anything?

)*(
Date-8/3/21
Words-1039