03. All Aboard the Heartbreak Train

✧✦✧

ALL ABOARD THE HEARTBREAK TRAIN

act one  ━  chapter three

.  .  .  .  .  .

THE WEASLEY TWINS
september 1993

"I THINK IT'S DISGUSTING."

"Good thing no one cares what you think."

September first had arrived in a whirlwind of last-minute school preparations, heaps of folding and packing and far too many cups of coffee than Oliver Wood would like to admit. But at least he was wide awake as the clock that hung high on Platform Nine and Three Quarters struck eleven o'clock, and as he passed over his luggage to the train employee for it to be stowed away.

As Oliver followed the Weasley twins and headed for the hooting bright red train ─ Angelina Johnson, her girlfriend, Maxine O'Flaherty, alongside couples Bianca and Adrian, and Leo and Alicia all trailing closely behind ─ Katie Bell on his arm, Oliver's final year at Hogwarts loomed over his head, accompanied delightfully by the impending thought that Gryffindor was yet to win the Quidditch cup as well as Fred Weasley describing him and his girlfriend's subtle PDA as disgusting.

"Weird thing to say when our minds are more or less synced, don't you think?" Fred cocked his head to one side aimed at his brother George, as they boarded the train and began their search for an empty compartment. "Or maybe you've forgotten we're identical twins."

"Not forgotten," George shrugged, "just phasing out."

"That's physically and theoretically impossible," Fred countered, momentarily discarding his close-up scanning of each of the train's compartments by peering his head inside, to deadpan at his brother.

"Probably genetically impossible too," Oliver chimed in at the thought.

Katie laughed nervously from beside Oliver at Fred's initial statement, describing her relationship as disgusting. Thankfully, after knowing the ginger twins for four years, she had learned to block out their immaturity.

Having found an empty compartment, the rowdy group of ten all squeezed onto the two benches, five on each.

"You excited for the World Cup next year, Adrian?" Oliver asked the Slytherin Chaser, who had chosen the spot opposite the Keeper, besides Bianca and Maxine.

"Is he?" Bianca scoffed, stowing away her bag on the overhead shelf. "It's all he talks about. It's not even like it's soon ─ it's next summer."