12. Dirty Dancing

✧✦✧

DIRTY DANCING

act one ━ chapter twelve

. . . . . .

MORGAN SAMUELS
october 1993

"SORRY, LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT, YOU INVITED YOUR EX-BOYFRIEND TO YOUR HALLOWEEN PARTY?"

"You would be correct."

"Okay, next question, and this might be a tough one, why?"

This was indeed a tough one, as Casper had rightfully named it. Morgan was struggling to pull together an answer that distracted them from her crumbling frame and already pathetic approach to being an ex-girlfriend.

"I had a stroke?"

In the moment that Morgan and Herbert discussed the former's plans for Halloween, this actually must have been the only valid conclusion as to what was happening in her brain the second she invited her ex. Not a lot, essentially. She could feel the sweat trickling down her neck and her hands becoming all clammy and her cheeks going red. What else could she do besides lose all control over what came out of her mouth?

"That's what we'll tell Herbert when he asks where you are tonight," Bea tutted from where she was applying mascara to her lashes, sitting in front of the floor-length mirror in her and Morgan's dorm room.

Kamilah and Maggie had already long disappeared for their Halloween plans ─ although they promised Kira they'd show up to her party later ─ so this friendship group had commandeered their room in the Gryffindor tower for a regroup before they began the party preparations in the Room of Requirement as the afternoon began to filter into the evening.

Once Casper had told them all what he had managed to gather on the teachers' whereabouts for the evening and Morgan had dumped all of the bottles of alcohol she had secured from her eighteen-year-old brother earlier onto her bed, she had told them the news of Herbert's newly established invite to their party.

Morgan slumped against her headboard, the bottles sprawled out on her mattress clinking against each other with the movement. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Bea shrugged and looked at the moping girl in the mirror. "You never wanted to go to this party in the first place. Now I'd say you've got a pretty valid reason for not going." Bea glanced over at Kira who was perched on the end of Maggie's bed to confirm that Morgan's appearance at Kira's party wasn't necessary. Kira shrugged nonchalantly.

"I thought the plan here was not to make Morgan look like a sad loser who can't get over her ex-boyfriend?" Morgan spoke in the third person, jutting her neck out and pushing up her shoulders. Her eyes flicked from one person to the next but none of them seemed particularly clued up as to how they were supposed to help a girl who had got herself into such a mess.