05. The Inner Workings Of the Teenage Boy's Mind

✧✦✧

THE INNER WORKINGS OF THE TEENAGE BOY'S MIND

act one ━ chapter five

act one  ━  chapter five

. . . . . .

MORGAN SAMUELS 
september 1993

          "I MEAN, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? A PARTY? THE FUCK?"

          "That'd you would have fun?"

           Oliver Wood really does question his voluntary friendship with the Weasley twins. He's convinced if they weren't so good at Quidditch, he'd hate them.

          "Come on boys," Bianca sighed from where she was sat by the fire easily beating George at a game of exploding snap, "we all know Oliver only has fun on a broom."

          "That's not fair," Oliver sulked, as his body slumped up against the side of the armchair Leo and Alicia were perched on.

           "It's not?" George questioned with an arched brow.

          "No," Oliver assured, although he looked anything but confident with his response. "I like other things."

          "Such as?" Leo swivelled his head to look up at the Quidditch captain, whose demeanour had become timid since they had sluggard away to the common room and began discussing the twins' party later that evening.

          Oliver went silent, although his mind didn't seem to be quiet at all as he wracked his brain for any other hobby that he might have. Cautiously, he probed an answer, ". . . chess."

          "And yet you still suck," Bianca sighed exasperatedly.

          Oliver scowled at Bianca before his expression wavered knowing full well that she was right and he was God-awful at chess despite Bianca's lessons. And he knew she wasn't the problem, especially after her poker lessons proved successful when Oliver finally beat Fred and George at a game.

          Oliver quickly opted to get back onto the matter at hand and defend himself any way he could in the process. "Look, all I'm trying to say is that I just got dumped," he said. "And it was brutal. And I am honestly struggling to come up with ways to cope. But I know for a definite fact that a party won't help."

          "Alcohol usually does the trick," Lee told him, earning him hums of agreement from the rest of the group.

          Oliver had so far been grateful that his friends had disappeared with Katie wherever she had gotten to after the feast but right about now, he was beginning to suspect being on his own would do him a lot better. "Okay, I'm going to bed."