07. The Extra Mile

✧✦✧

THE EXTRA MILE

act one ━ chapter seven

. . . . . .

JASON SAMUELS 
september 1993

          "I NEED TO END HIM."

          It may be because it was early in the morning or it may be that she had seen Herbert smiling a little too much for her liking, but Morgan had a look of scary determinism on her face that none of her friends are quite sure they'd seen from her before.

          "Not sure what the law would think about that, Morgan," Greg shovelled cereal into his mouth while his eyes flittered over to the newspaper sprawled out on the table before he spoke again: "But carry on." Greg had no intention of properly registering Morgan's words at eight o'clock in the morning. The only reason he was at the Gryffindor table was to feed off of Kamilah's Daily Prophet because his dads refused to ever let it go within five feet of their house.

          Morgan observed as her friends went about their own business eating breakfast, appalled by the fact that none of them seemed to care enough to help her formulate a brilliant plan to quote end Herbert Fleet unquote. How could they just sit idly by as if jam on toast was of the utmost importance in the current climate?

          "You make a fair point," Morgan could at least acknowledge that murder was (probably) off the table. She then death stared right at Greg, who, again, was preoccupied with his cornflakes and newspaper, because she had deemed him the smartest one (the one with the most common sense) who could help her the most. "So what's the best way to take someone down in a completely legal and semi-morally acceptable way?"

          Kamilah chuckled to herself, "Don't let Fred and George hear you ask that."

          "We've been summoned?"

          The pair of redhead pranksters were only a few people away from where Morgan was sitting and were settled in the empty spaces in front of Morgan in a matter of seconds.

          "Need the best revenge technique then, Samuels?" Fred asked as he cleared the table in front of him to perch his elbows.

          Morgan glanced quickly at Bea beside her and asked quietly, "Do I dare indulge?"