02. The Full Story

✧✦✧

THE FULL STORY

act one ━ chapter two

. . . . . .

HERBERT FLEET
august 1993

"THIS CAN NOT BE HAPPENING."

"It sorta is."

Great choice of words, Herb. Truly.

Morgan can describe this feeling as nothing other than a disastrous epiphany, wherein she could feel the crack form down the centre of her heart as she watched her life crumble down around her. And she would not be exaggerating.

Said feeling is Herbert had just broken up with her and Morgan is heartbroken.

Thoughts swam about her mind in a frazzled mess as she tried her best to organize them in a way that would allow her words to be formed. But no matter how hard she tried, nothing but desperate pants for air would come out.

None of it made sense. Why would he do this to her? How? Why was this happening to her? And it all came without warning. Herbert had given her no signs that he wanted to break up with her. None. But he just decides to drop this on her on a random sunny afternoon right before school starts like he's hit her with a bus?

Her leg started to bob up and down as she always did when she was anxious and she was incapable of stopping it.

Morgan had a serious thing for what other people thought. No matter what people told her, she couldn't ignore it ─ it was always at the forefront of her mind. And now she's just been dumped. So what will people think?

"You just introduced me as your girlfriend!"

"I didn't think I'd see you there!"

Herbert did really feel like a dick. He truly was sorry but he felt helpless about the whole situation ─ he wasn't heartless despite Morgan's current opinions on that topic. It did bring him sorrow to see the tears well in her eyes and to see her frantically gag for air as the reality of this slowly sank in.

Okay, nope he just felt awkward. Words should help with that.

"I'm really sorry, M." Herbert said, hoping his voice would soothe her panic in some way (Herbert wasn't very good when people show signs of sadness, so, word of advice, don't get dumped by him).

"It's just, I leave Hogwarts after this year and after that, I'll hopefully be working full-time and it wouldn't make sense for me to stay dating someone who's still in school."