Chapter 14 - Brewing Storms

By Friday I am feeling much better. I've returned to my normal sleeping pattern and I find waking up at seven in the morning much easier now. Since I haven't been sick in nearly two days, I decide that going to school is the best option. While throwing on an oversizes jumper, I wonder if I've missed anything major in my classes. I hope not.

When I get downstairs, my dad is sitting at the table with a slightly surprised expression on his face. What doesn't surprise him is my refusal to eat anything before I head off. Even though I'm slightly worried about not eating properly since Sunday, I'm even more concerned with throwing up in school.

"I'm working nights so I'll be gone when you come back," dad explains as I'm at the door, "so be mindful of the storm. I wouldn't be surprised if your day ended earlier than usual - just keep me updated, okay sweetie?"

I nod, telling him not to worry without informing him that I'd completely forgotten about the storm. Come to think of it, I wasn't sure there was much point in me going into school for one day especially if it does get cut short. However, my desire to get out of this house, even for a few hours, outweighs my skepticism.

When I get to school, it's like I haven't been away. Everything is the same, the world carries on, and I snap back into the routine. By two o'clock the illness is forgotten as I sit inside by the window watching the snow intensely arriving. It's definitely falling, and sticking, quicker than I'd seen it before or expected it to. Now that I've got energy and time to myself, the problem including George invades my mind as I stare out into the white scene. When I arrived this morning, obviously, he was there and his eyes didn't move from my frame as he searched for some eye contact. More than that, I felt his eyes roam over my whole body. Gosh, I didn't even think about how bad I looked this morning. Not eating, barely sleeping, and not moving from one room can alter you a little. Even now as I sit on the floor in the library I can feel his eyes on me. My eyes however remain firmly on the changing weather. When I arrived in the library earlier I had noticed the different groups of friends hiding out in the library. Usually, it wasn't this crowded in this room and I wouldn't have to find myself a seat on the floor but no one wanted to be out in the cold. I'd almost laughed out loud when I noticed that there were no other students sat alone except me. How pathetic is that?

As I'm drowning in my rather depressing thoughts, the sound of my head teacher's voice blasting through the speaker interrupts:

"All students please make their way to the hall. That's all students to make their way to the grand hall and find their nominated seats."

Curiously I stand and slowly make my way to the hall by following the groups of people from the library. I get a sense of deja vu when a hand is placed on the small of my back. Despite the familiarity, I'm startled at the contact which makes my head snap up. George is stood next to me, walking along with me, while not looking at me. For once. I know the only reason he's not looking at me is because he knows there's less chance I'll pick a fight this way.

Before I get a chance to say anything, we reach the hall and everyone crams inside. My eyebrows furrow at the scene, people definitely weren't following his instructions to find their normal seats. As I stare around the room, interested in our current situation, George takes advantage of my lack of attention and steers us to the back of the room where his friends are stood against the wall. I am interested and intrigued in what's going on but I can also admit that my lack of attention towards George and his friends is rooted in slight fear. I didn't know how to handle all of this. I knew how I should be reacting, what I should be doing, but I also knew how I felt about my friendship with George. While scanning the room I notice that all of the teachers have subtle smiles on their faces as they allow the students to do whatever they want. I suppose we weren't their problem anymore.