Chapter 16 - Deep Conversations

He never does reply before the lights are switched off, a top is removed (not mine) and I'm engulfed in the covers surrounded by George. My eyes take their time adjusting while I listen to George calmly breathing indicating that he's not asleep yet.

    "What do you think happens when we die?"

    Even though this is his house and I know we're alone, my voice drops to a whisper. His hand moves to the small of my back with his fingers drawing small circles on the skin. Now that I've got used to the darkness, I can see his eyes looking right at me.,

    "What do you mean?"

    His voice is husky and low and I'm not sure if it's that or the circles on my back that sends a shiver through my bones. My hand reaches out to run up his arm that's resting on his side before I rest it on his shoulder.

    "Do you believe in heaven?"

    At my question, he uses the arm on my back to pull me closer before answer, "I don't know... I believe there's something but..."

    "But?"

    He exhales, "The idea of this perfect place... that doesn't sound realistic to me."

    A small smile reaches my lips at his answer, "What does sound realistic to the notorious bad boy?"

    A smirk graces his face, "Just a place to chill for the rest of eternity," laughter bubbles inside as his smirk turns to a smile, "What about you?"

    I know my answer, I've already thought about it, "I think that if there's Heaven then there has to be Hell but I don't believe in either."

    George almost looks shocked, "You don't? Why?"

    "How do you decide who goes where?"

    He shrugs, "Bad people go to Hell."

    "Bad people? What's a bad person?" Humour leaves his face as he watches me seriously. Again, the arm wrapped around me yanks our bodies closer (if possible) as his eyes scan my face. Thinking he's not going to answer, I continue, "People do shitty things all the time but that doesn't mean they should be classed as a bad person in general..." My mind flashes to my mother. Even though she's not here, she's missing my final years in school, she missed my birthday, and she left my father, maybe she's not a wholly bad person. Okay, I do think of her as a bad person but she's a bad person to me. Maybe in a few years I won't think so bad of her, I mean, she did give birth to me. She did stick by me for seventeen years.

    Finally, George speaks up, "That's a pretty naive thing to say, princess."

    I shrug, "Maybe but remember the first time we met and I hit you?"

    He chuckles, "Can hardly forget it."

    "Right, yeah, that was a shitty thing for me to do. You locking me in the cupboard was a shitty thing to do. I don't think that means we're bad people."

    His eyes remain on mine, "So, what do you believe in?"

    One thing jumps into my mind. He may laugh, most do, but I say it anyway, "Reincarnation."

    "Why?"

    My eyes dart away from him to think of an answer. Why? Why? "I don't know, I just don't think we could go through all of this for it to just stop. To end."

    We both sit in silence as we take in my response. George's hand slides up my back, giving me goosebumps, before sliding back down. He continues this back and forth action which soothes me.

    "Who was your best friend before you moved here?"

    His question interrupts my thoughts. I hadn't realised my eyes were closed. When they flicker open, I see George's eyes are too so I close them again. "I had a few. It was quite different there, everyone was close."

    "What about boyfriends?"

    A giggle leaves my lips, a tired sounding giggle, "Two. One when I was fourteen and one when I was sixteen."

    "What happened with the last one?"

    My mind travels back, "He was clingy," a deep chuckle leaves his lips in response making mine quirk up. Thinking about how comfortable I am, I question, "Is this weird?"

    "What?"

    I shift slightly, "This. Us spending so much time together, being with each other this much and being so comfortable."

    His hand, the one soothing me, pauses for a moment before he starts again, "No. I knew it was going to go like this. Is it weird for you?"

    Shrugging, I ponder over his words, "Not really but I do wonder how we got here from where we begun. With you threatening me and me slapping you."

    I hear a tired sigh leave George, "I can be a bit... abrasive. I'm trying to be better."

    The admission makes me move closer to him, "No offence," I pause, "abrasive should be your middle name."

    Another soft chuckle leaves George's lips as we begin to settle. Five minutes pass as I feel us both relaxing and drifting off, our breathing slowing, as he keeps us flush against each other. He tangles our legs together so we are two human's laced together for the night. For someone who didn't want to sleep in the same bed as him, I'm sure welcoming it with open arms. Just before I drift into complete unconsciousness, he speaks.

    "Luna, when I said we weren't friends?"

    "Hm?"

    We're whispering and even that sounds tired, "Not just friends."

    "Hm?"

    I'm out like a light.

-------------

A very, very short chapter but one filled with Luna x George conversation!

x