Chapter 20 - Friendly Suggestions

The following days are... weird. Kate actually meets me outside the front doors, something that shocks me and annoys George, for us to walk to our classes together. Afterward class, she waits for me and follows me towards my bench. When we share a lesson, we sit together. It's a very strange contrast to what I'm used to which is either spending my lessons alone or sitting in a comfortable silence with my only friend.

I've discovered that Kate is really funny and is so lovely to me. I attempt to keep up with her fierce attitude, all the time, and great social skills. She can talk to anyone about anything and everything, especially things that aren't always easy to say. Last week, we were outside for break and I heard her scoff to herself. Without saying anything to me, I watched as she approached a girl who was playing basketball with a few of the regulars. I'm not sure what she said but it definitely looked... hard to swallow. The girl simply nodded in response, going back to playing with her male friends for ten minutes before walking off the pitch. When Kate returns to my side, obviously I'm intrigued about what she said to the girl and why but I decide against enquiring.

As the weeks pass on by, it seems strange to admit that I have a friend. Another friend. A female friend. A female friend that enjoys my company. Naturally, I don't tell her as much as I do with George. We stick to very... nice conversations. The weather, homework, who is trending on Twitter right now, and what people have posted on Instagram lately. Perhaps it's because I've known him longer or we've been on a very rocky journey together but I still find myself closer to George. Plus, she's never met my dad and it seems like a sensible decision at the moment.

Although I remain closer to George, I can't deny the warmth that emits through my body as I think about my new friendship. We share clothes, we share gossip (it's more like she shares and I listen since she's the social butterfly), we eat a lot of food, we laugh, and we share music. It's a simple friendship but it makes me happy. Really happy. Since I've been here, I've wondered if George is the only friend I would make but Kate has proved, to me, that I can make other friends.

So, in the first week of December - despite the issues with my father - I'm at a high. Christmas is coming, there's only a few weeks until Christmas break, Kate is still my friend, and George is... George is George. Most of the time, he's great (something I won't ever tell him) and we have a good time. What I have noticed, and tried to ignore, are the looks George gives when Kate is talking to me. When she's helping me with how to do my hair, or tells me that my shoes are out of fashion, or when she brings in makeup for me to try, or even when she talks to me as I read, he stares right at me as though he's waiting for something. What is he waiting for? I have no idea. Truthfully, I don't want to know either and that's why I never ask. Avoidance is my main tactic here because I'm sure the answer will start a debate. Furthermore, George doesn't offer the explanation and instead continues to stare without saying much to Kate or I. This way, I avoid an argument, it keeps him quiet, and we can keep Kate.

As George and I walk into school from his car, one of the rare moments we get alone outside of the house these days, he eyes my midi skirt. It's new and it's long enough that I don't need tights as long as I have a jumper on.

"You should always," he stresses, "always wear skirts."

I eye him, "That's a little invasive. And sexist. A man telling a woman what to wear?"

He scoffs with clear amusement in his eyes, "It wasn't a demand, it was a suggestion. Plus, I'm not saying something you disagree with - you like skirts, don't you?"

Feeling the slight sun on my face, not the warm kind as it is in summer, I feel energised and fresh, "Not as much as you do apparently."

George laughs while pulling me closer to him. His arm slips over my shoulder as his finger plays with a piece of fabric in my wooly jumper.

"Is Kate meeting you today?"

I nod, "Outside my class."

He nods, going quiet, as he pulls me closer towards him. He takes a little step back in order to move me in front of his body so that both arms can circle my shoulder and neck. One hand plays with the necklace that rests on my chest while his chin relaxes on top of my head causing me to lean back on his chest. This position means we have to walk slower which means I'm more in tune with the looks we are getting. Lately, I had noticed that people watch us almost skeptically. They don't look too long, not long enough for George to catch, but they do linger. Even his friends, who I had yet to spend any proper time with aside from a few lunch time bench meetings, watch us as we enter and exit the building.

As we enter school, I notice George slowing us down even further. Sounding like a pouting child, he mutters, "Can't you meet her later?"

I know he's being serious in his whining but I cannot hold back my laughter. Choosing to ignore his question, I smile as Kate comes into view. As we get closer, George untangles our bodies while mumbling something about my skirt and my bench before leaving without a word for Kate.

"Hey Kate," even I can hear the happiness in my voice as I rest against the wall, "You okay?"

"Uh, hi Luna," she offers me a small smile, "Do you know you're not wearing tights?"

A flush of embarrassment must show on my face. Of course I knew I wasn't wearing tights. Did she really expect an answer or was she being... funny?

"Yeah, uh, is that not okay?"

Sighing, she leans against the wall next to me, before saying, "Oh, oh. It's just... revealing. You know? If you want, we can go to the lost and found box in the office to get a pair. Come on."

Once inside the office cupboard, she shuts the door to give us some privacy. In just a second, she's found a pair or tights that, in fairness, look wearable.

"Here, put these on."

And I do just that. Even though I'm not cold, even though I planned the outfit this way, and even though she never asked me if I wanted tights, I put the lost tights on. I wish I could wash them before putting them on my skin but hey I can't be picky... apparently. While I sort my skirt, Kate clears her throat.

"While we have a minute," oh no, "I just wanted to... well, George is always touching you. Have you noticed that?"

I nod absentmindedly while concentrating on sorting the tights and skirt out. A few months ago, I would have been perplexed that I allowed someone to touch me as freely as George did but it was welcomed now. He made me feel safe... which is weird considering he's probably the most dodgy person I've hung out with.

"You should tell him to stop?"

When the tights are up and my skirt is straight, I look up at her with a small smile on my face. "Why?"

Kate shrugs but fails to hide the surprise from my question, "How do you think it makes you look?"

Okay, now I was confused. My eyebrows furrow as I mumble, "What do you mean?"

She lets out a breathy laugh, "I mean he's - well - you know how he is and you're..."

The bell interrupts the following silence and I've never been more happy to hear the annoying drill. We say goodbye, parting ways to our separate classes, and I pretend that I'm okay with what just happened.

Even the next day, I wonder what she meant, I wonder what she was going to say at the end of her sentence, I wonder why I have tights on, and I wonder why I haven't told George. I must be better at pretending than I thought because she doesn't pick up on my change in mood or the confusion in my eyes every time I look at her. Kate's arm remains looped through mine as we walk through the corridors towards the front door.

"I'm thinking we go shopping," she squeals, "this weekend?"

I look over at her excited smile and attempt to make myself feel the same, "Let's do it. Do you need something in particular?"

Kate grins, "I need a skirt for this party my family is having but I also thought we could get you some nice jeans. Does that sound good?"

I nod, "Sure."

------------------

Not much George x Luna content but a more in depth look at our new friend Kate!

What do you think of her?