Chapter 33 - Delusion and Doubts

He was clearly trying to get into my head. Was it working? Absolutely. Was I going to show him that? No way. I'd spent weeks blanking out any doubts about George from my mind, I wasn't going to give Walter the satisfaction of knowing he'd hit the nail on the head.

"Little obsessive, aren't we?" Instead, I'll play the bitch. "What was it? He turn you down? Or take something you wanted?"

A fire lights behind his eyes, "Watch your mouth, pretty."

I shrug, "I get it, I'd be mad too. But, I mean, come on? You against him? Surely you're not that deluded to think you'd ever compare?"

It's a nasty blow, one he doesn't like, and it earns me a kick in the leg. I bite my tongue to hide my surprise at the action. Feigning ignorance, Walter leans in closer. From this angle, I can see how fuming he is. How much he wants to hurt me, and maybe not even physically, because of George. It's... intriguing. What happened between them? Let's assume that Walter knows the norms of social interaction. Let's assume he knows it's rude to spill a drink over someone or it's invasive to be keeping tabs on people he didn't know. Surely, something big had to happen for him to throw that all away? Surely, something significant had to have happened between the two for his rude, creepy ways to seem normal or justifiable to him?

With anger still in his eyes, Walter smirks at me, "I'm going to ignore that. And you know why? Because I feel sorry for you," I tilt my head, wondering where he's going with this, "you think that you matter to him. I can see it in your eyes. You think that he's the one that's going to save you, he's the good guy beneath it all, and that is laughable."

I'm not going to let him get in my head. I'm not going to let him get in my head. I'm not going to let him get in my head.

"When he's done with you, I'm gonna be there. I'll know the minute he fucks you over. Then, you're going to apologise to me. For the bitch attitude, for the stupid shit you've said today, and for thinking you're better than me," I try to hide the shudder and fail, "Incase you haven't noticed, George and I? We're the same. That's the clue you were looking for, right? It's not a girl, or a crush, or some silly game, it's us. We run in the same circles. So, if he's good enough for you then so am I."

We run in the same circle? I doubt that. They couldn't stand each other, clearly, so why would they want to be around each other? Plus, I've never seen Walter with any of George's friends. Or at any of the parties we went to. In between that... George and I were together. I mean, besides the times I go home.

My thoughts are interrupted by the sound of a door slamming shut. Walter, who was looking tense, leans back against his chair with a smile on his face. I don't have to look to know who just arrived. I do wonder why Walter suddenly looks so smug, so sure of himself, but I'm too wrapped up in everything he just said to care.

"Walter," is George's clipped introduction. Instead of sitting next to me, he sits next to Walter. "Isn't this place a little... nice for you?"

Walter looks at George like you would an annoying friend, only darker. "You know I've got a taste for the nice things."

It's silent until Walter glances at me. "You're not going to say hello to your boyfriend?"

The only answer I provide is a roll of the eyes.

George hasn't even glanced my way, "Thanks for keeping her company. You can leave now."

I let them have a little bitch fight amongst themselves, my mind hasn't moved on from Walter's monologue. When he's done with me? That seemed so... gross. Like I had an expiration date. Fucks me over? I know George doesn't play games like your average man. He told me he'd never been interested in other girls, not seriously anyway, and I believed him. But... the stuff about them running in the same circles, about them being the same, and me not knowing George - all of George - that's all mixed up in my head.